• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis Transvestitus

wethumbs

5 Year Member
I am so jealous....

Last time i was keeping them, I couldn't keep the males alive. The female kept killing one after another. In hindsight, I should have put in another female instead, but that wouldnt help with the spawning. :biggrin:

I got them from Laura Bireley back in the early 90s.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Thanks wetthumbs! My first attempt with this species (a few years ago) was a failure too : the male killed the female. That's why this time I took care not to isolate a duo to early, prefering to wait for a pair to bind among 2 duos.

Now I have to get them to spawn and to keep my fingers crossed for not encountering behavioral / hatching / unexpected mortality problems with them... The remaining duo seems to be likely to form a pair too, I'll keep you informed.

peterK

5 Year Member
My problem with this species wasn't aggression. Pair looked quite well bonded untill... I did a water change and cleanin the filter one day. I took out the filter media, and leave the turbine in the aquarium, as usual. I went back, put media on the filter, fill up the tank, and turn on the filter. Something gone wrong, it doesn't start, I just heard a weird sound. I took the media again, turbine too, looked into it... And you know, why I failed to breed this nice species. I lost a female on that day.:frown:

Rod

5 Year Member
There is a GOD!

I just picked up 2 pair.....whooppeee!!!
Air freighted from Melbourne to Brisbane from a private seller

They are not a legal import in Australia and are as scarce as rocking horse .....t
These look to be in top condition....I seen some with deformaties due to inbreeding
I've now got the heavy responsiblity to maintain the specie in Queensland

I'm hoping the same conditions I used to breed P.taeniatus will work for these beauties....soft acid water....fine substrate and lots of plants....killifish (gardneri) as dither fish

Can't get the smile off my face :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Rod

5 Year Member
I have a dilemma

I now have 2 pair of transvestitus....these are extremely rare in Australia because they are no longer a legal import...and those that are here are no doubt inbreed

My first inspection has proved to be incorrect
One of the males has a deformed mouth....normally I'd banish any fish with deformaties to a community tank....but I wondering should I breed with this male(it doubles my chance of success) and cull any deformed fry
or do I leave it to the Best male and Hope he does the job???

He may still have fry with deformaties but hopefully a lesser % than the deformed one

????

viejo

5 Year Member
The mouth thing is more than likely due to a mechanical injury other than anything genetic. I wouldn't concern myself too much about it.

Noddy65

5 Year Member
Hi Rod
Im just about to take possesion of two pairs as well
From a different source to you so we NEED to keep this species going in Aus

Mike

Rod

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

So you're the bugger! Got to be quick!!!

I was hoping to get a couple of males....but you got them both!
Rest are apparently females....and I have plenty of those

I was hoping to get some New blood....hopefully Jodi can get some more

My good male has paired up and I think they have a clutch!

If you get yours going lets swap fry!

If jodi can't get any more males....Will probably get a couple of females and see if my male likes them....just for the New blood!!

Regards....Rod

westafrica

5 Year Member
Glad to read that this species has its fans in Australia too! :) Some new pics of the other pair that formed itself among the 4 individuals I initially got (you'll say I'm lucky, but unfortunately this second female disapeared quite suddenly - no corpse, no witnesses, the perfect mystery :( )

A055746C5E32B93D42F947BA160F793D_full.jpg

119F821D7D309B1757447952D6FA68CA_full.jpg

1DAF87E0B4F96B3904176C45442D295B_full.jpg

A8778DB46EA9C49645500C22719CBDAA_full.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….