• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis Transvestitus

RNJ_Punk

5 Year Member
Hello all, I am new here and would like to introduce some of my cichlids. I recently bought a pair of nanochromis transvestitus and they are proving to be some of the most interesting little guys Ive ever kept. I believe they have started making plans for somem kids because for the last 2 days they have been working on a pit very strenuously between a rock and some driftwood. If I do get fry I am not planning on raising any, these guys live in a community tank and I have also read that the fry dont like a pH of over 4.5 or 5. And mine is about 6. Anywho, love is still in the air I presume. Here are som pics:
2lcbq4z.jpg
= the male
2b74vq.jpg
= the female

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!

N. transvestitus are very interesting fish. One of my favorties.

RNJ_Punk

5 Year Member
Yes they are great so far. i have only had them a little over a wekk though. How long do they usually work on nesting sites for?

ste12000

5 Year Member
They are indeed a lovely fish, i looked for them for years, then when i found them i placed a pair in a 3ft tank..In one week the male had murdered the female..The male is booked into a upcoming auction and i will be glad to see the back of him..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RNJ_Punk

5 Year Member
Haha thanks for scaring me!

Just kidding, so far my male isnt showing that much aggression at all to my female, they are actually quite sweet towards each other. Anyone had any spawning experience with them? So far mine have just been displaying to each other alot, building little pits in the eco, and the female has been getting fatter. I hope they spawn soon.:wink:

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Good photos of these pretty fish.
I have always raised SA Dwarf Cichlids but N. transvestitus is at the top of my to do West African list. Westies are fairly rare around my neck of the woods except reg and albino "Kribensis."

mk_ultra

5 Year Member
do you use any type of dithers? My female is harsh to my male and I would like to distract her a bit...

Camandcalsmom

5 Year Member
Hiya,

I have a pair of these in a 10 gallon and they have been great. I do recommend giving them some dither fish and alot of hiding places. I use driftwood, java moss, caves and other plants. My female is also the boss LOL! I use guppies and they do great. Beautiful pics!! These are one of my favorite dwarf cichlids!!

Ang

peterK

5 Year Member
Again, sharp and beautiful pics. I really like these fish, have to try with them again someday:)

westafrica

5 Year Member
Thanks Peter!

Which westies do you have?

My transvestitus turned to be 2 males and 2 females, I'm lucky :)

The 2 females are alternatively displaying in front of the dominant male, and this guy is surprisingly quite tolerant towards the weakest male. May it last!

Unfortunately they are not the dominants in the tank, which doesn't really fosters pair formation...

peterK

5 Year Member
I had P. subocellatus, N. transvestitus (no success, kept in community tank), A. thomasi, and, my favourite P. taeniatus "Wouri":

:)
But my top favorites are Nanochromis, Parananochromis, and Benitochromis... I'll try with them for sure, when I have more tanks:wink:

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Excellent photos of an excellent fish!!! Thanks for posting.

Looking forward to some more great pics when they spawn for you.:biggrin:

westafrica

5 Year Member
Thanks Mud Pie Mamma! Glad you like them! And also looking forward to seeing them spawn! They haven't paired yet, but it shoul happen on of these days! :)

One more pic of this little zebra :

B6B83CD0AFD169EA481F7F34E824A91B_full.jpg

vulcisfus

5 Year Member
Not a problem mate. Expect an e-mail shortly! I have to say I'm not keeping many types of westies at the moment, got back into keeping a few Tanganyikans again, but I'd love to chat about what's around!

peterK

5 Year Member
Amazing pics again! When I see them I really want to try with this species again... great fish.

westafrica

5 Year Member
Hi!

A duo of trnasvestitus seems to be pairing increasingly strong pair bonds!

C92615EDA673F7E1DA5F07036B2D62F1_full.jpg

B171503C619FB18EC73DDF4B836BD63E_full.jpg

8CF648F19BC0956E6593C0AE97D24478_full.jpg

0F8FC4B05C50E9F3B083D25CA6D6103F_full.jpg

555751C38CFC6C4357B01A1674D1864A_full.jpg

8287F85AE974C51C4F03FBC85C682B2D_full.jpg

78E60A661114AB4839B36E0291A80A81_full.jpg

AF42703FC005032A1430D7A17668D001_full.jpg

@ Mud pie mamma / vulcisfus : your article is really interesting, thanks again! Would you mind if I shared it with the Chromidotilapines fans I know?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….