• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My 86 g blackwater tank

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Surely there's also the factor of the available bottom area being much higher at different parts of the year in much of the Amazon basin due to flooding. This would allow concentrated densities to spread out more when breeding. Even small, sedentary fish like Apistos must spread out more when breeding in these areas?

Kjaer

5 Year Member
Thanks Ed and Mike. I´ll go for 2 males and 4 females then.

Some pics:
325literSydamerika435kopiera.jpg

325literSydamerika430kopiera.jpg

325literSydamerika340kopiera.jpg

Only need some leaves, echinodorus and fishes now.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
You won't know until you try but you may find that Cryptocoryne species may do better in your black water tank than Echinodorus.
Photos of black water tanks are difficult to tell how well lighted the bottom of the water column is. I know my attempts often had clear peat stained water but would appear murkier than they really were when using a flash to take the photos. Echinodorus species did grow well with a side benefit that most algae doesn't seem to grow well in peat stained water.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'd definitely go for easier swords and stick with the green ones as they'll look more natural, IMO, and should grow better in the tannin stained water.

Maybe a large patch of a chain sword such as E.tennellus, or E.angustifolia if you want soemthing larger? Or a few smaller, 'normal' green swords such as E.parviflora 'Tropica' or E.'Aquartica'.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Surely there's also the factor of the available bottom area being much higher at different parts of the year in much of the Amazon basin due to flooding. This would allow concentrated densities to spread out more when breeding. Even small, sedentary fish like Apistos must spread out more when breeding in these areas?
Hi Ed,
I would also think that during low water the population is more heavily predated and poor water quality in isolated pools kills off many Apistos. All part of the natural survival strategy. It doesn't take many pairs to replace all the previous season's losses.
When Romer stated that high density, I am sure the estimate included every age group and not just breeding pairs. Given that most Apistogramma probably don't get to live much over one year, the Romer numbers necessarily have to include the myriad of fry.
I completely agree with the statement that direct comparisons of wild fish population dynamics are not transferable to an aquarium of any size.

Kjaer

5 Year Member
The first fishes is added. A wildcaught pair of apistogramma baenschi and a L134.
Theres a funny thing with the female apisto. I have a black marking on one side but nothing on the other. Why?

Kjaer

5 Year Member
Do you think it will work with Biotodoma cupido together with Apistogramma baenschi?

Kjaer

5 Year Member
Here a pic of the female, will try to take one of the male to.
Akvariebilder097.jpg

But is it baenschi?
She has no black marking at all on the other side.:confused:

Kjaer

5 Year Member
So it must be panduro or nijsseni then... I guess i have to take a pic of the male to find out wich of them it is?

ste12000

5 Year Member
It does look like A.panduro to me but having never kept them i cannot be 100%..Can you get pictures with the fins spread and also one of the male..

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I believe that looks like a panduro as the male seems to have a dark mark on the caudal peduncle. A better photo would be nice though but not easy things to capture are they?!

Kjaer

5 Year Member
I think the bad quality is only because of the bad photographer (me), they are visible most of the time and not very active.:redface:

But heres a pic of the L134:
Akvariebilder100.jpg

ste12000

5 Year Member
Kjaer i would say Panduro due to the dark mark on the caudal peduncle but the pictures are not the clearest..It is hard to take clear pics but practice makes perfect..What camera do you use? Do they look the same as the ones on this page?

http://www.aquatic-forums.com/forums/index.php?act=gal&code=00&cat=50

Hi Ed, long time no see, i was at Marks the other week and he told me he sent you some Biotoecus?? How are you enjoying them and how have they settled in? My own personal collection is growing very nicely and i have recently aquired some stunning apistos..The P.Subocellatus from you are proving to be very very fertile and im out of room for fry, they are on par with Pulcher for ease of breeding.See you soon my friend

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….