• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Morris's Blackwater Biotope

morris

Hi, after adding my opening thread, I wanted to post my Blackwater Biotope tank:)

This is not a true Blackwater Biotope, as the wood, sand and fish species are not from the same area.

Specs of the tank.

Tank: Standard 2 foot, 60 * 30 *30
Substrate: Play pen sand
Filter: Hang-on 800l/h
Light: Clip on 7500k 15w cfl
Hardscape: Spider wood, will add Oak leaves and branches later on for the Blackwater effect
Fish: 10 * Corydoras Sterbai's, 4 * Peckoltia Compta L134, a Pair of Apistogramma(still deciding on which species)

The tank has only been up and running 4 days and the rocks will be removed ontop of the wood, Oak leaves and branches will still be added.

IMG_23231.jpg

School of Sterbai's

IMG_23391.jpg

IMG_23301.jpg

morris

Thanx slimboleen, yes it is still early days for this scape.
After the drift wood sinks, I can remove the rocks ontop off it and add some other hardscape, leaves and smaller branches.

I orderd 4 * L134 compta plecs today and should be here next week, I am very excited, they are as scarce as chicken teeth here in South Africa.

Only after adding the L134's I will have a look at what Apistogramma species there are locally

morris

Thanx all!!

Merlin, the oakk branches and leaves that i used, gets treated by placing them in boiled water in a bucket for around two days yes.

This makes the leaves sink, but the branches do float for a couple more days

morris

Hi Derek,

I keep the bark on the branches, this give it that nice tea colour stain to the water.
But I only use the branches that has fallen off the tree.

This scape is in the proses of being moved to a 110l tank, just waiting for the other branches and driftwood to sink and leach there tannins.

Will update agian, once everything has been moved

Joe

Beautiful biotope!:)

I think for the pair of Apistos you should go for something nice and small. Bitaeniata, elizabethae or trifasciata are a few suggestions that would look great!

bbetta

5 Year Member
Great Tank! I would really like to do something similar.We're waiting for more photos!

morris

Hi, thanks all,

Its been a while, and the tank has transformed quite alot.

I moved the scape to a bigger 110L tank, took out all the leave litter, as I got abit bored with not having any plants.
If any of you have read my introduction , you would have seen, I am very much into the planted side of tanks.
I also got a pair of Apisto cacatuoides , the only species I could find locally at the time

A couple of pics of the tank transformation

Moved all the spiderwood to the bigger tank

IMG_26691.jpg

Added some rock for extra hardscape and tied some moss onto the wood

IMG_26821.jpg

Planted some plants

IMG_29081.jpg

My male Apisto......still small, but getting some very nice colours

IMG_27641.jpg

morris

Hi Linus_Cello,

Thanx, it is just normal grey granite rock. Luckily it doesn't alter the water parameters in any way.
I have used the same type of rock in previous scapes with no side effects:)

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The male looks like he is going to have really good fin extension.

I like the tank planted and grown in, I'm a great moss and Bolbitis fan, but you can have plants as well as dead leaves, I have both and I just move the leaves off the plants if I'm worried about them chopping out the light.

I'm sure that dead leaves aid fry survival. On the subject of fry survival I had a couple of Pristella tetras in with my cacatuoides for a while, and they were great fry hunters, so I don't think you will have any fry survive.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….