• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male Barlowi- thief :-)

Ruki

5 Year Member
Few days ago my male barlowi stolen some of fry from female. He didn't want to give them back and was swimming with them in his mouth. :biggrin:
After around 30 minutes he gave them back. :wink:
mouthbreeding.jpg

mouthbreedingmale.jpg

P.S.
Yes, I have to many algae everywhere. I wanted to make with tank but now I have fry.

Tom C

5 Year Member
I witnessed the same phenomena with one of my A. barlowi pairs. At the end of the mouthbrooding period, the male was allowed to mouthbrood too.
The female didn't seem to bother about it; while he had the fry, she took the opportunity to eat, and she didn't try, as far as I could see, to get the fry back before he gave them back.

P.S. Your tank with algae looks just like my tanks, most of the time. The important thing is how the fish are, not what the tank looks like.......:biggrin:

Ruki

5 Year Member
All spawns before were protected only by female. Male was ignored by female and fry were ignored by male. In this case he took fry only once(probably, I were out for 4 days).
In your case Tom it was "larave period", in my it was "free swimming fry period". Because of this I was shocked. I saw few times at night that female take fry in two-three first days to her mouth at nighttime.

Algae are due of my 2 months long illness(problems with kidneys) and having no power to do anything with tanks. Now I'm repairing all tanks(I'm in half of way now). :biggrin:
Second photo was taken from front. :biggrin:

MonteSS

Very nice fish and interesting behavior.

Althoough we dont like the algae, I think the fish preder it and feel more at home.

Hope you are feeling better.

....Bill

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have a male A. bitaeniata (Rio Tigre) that steals fry from the female. She gets mad and tries to take them back, but he is 4X her size. Interestingly, I don't seem to lose any fry when the male guards them. I pulled out 65 juvenlies from the last brood.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….