• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Macmasteri breeding prob

W

waynedavis

Hello i am just new to this site and am looking for some advice.
I have a pair of macmasteri and they (she) keeps spawning. However he shows all the signs displaying and danceing etc but when she actually goes to lay the eggs he never seems to fertilise them. They are big adult fish the ph is around 6 and they are in great shape. She spawns (i think she hides away and goes a brilliant yellow) every 10-15 days but i have still to see any fry.
Any advice?
Thanks for any help.

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Hi Wayne,

There is always the very small possibility that your male is infertile but it is more likely that the water hardness and/or ph.

Could I ask what your hardness and pH are

Regards,

Peter

W

waynedavis

The water is very soft around 3 and my ph is about 6. I know the water conditions are perfect it just seems he doesnt know what to do. There is a possiblity that he does fertilise them but i just dont catch it, but i have never seen the fry. She is in her nest again so i will see if she emarges with fry in the next few days. If not i will try to remove the eggs the next time and see if they hatch artifically.
Thanks for your help.

Apistt_ed

hello wayne,

the issue of seeing him actually fertilize the eggs, is minimal. Are there any predatory fish in your tank with them that may be eating the eggs/fry? Your hardness is about right for the eggs to develope and your ph is fine, so there shouldn't be any problems at all. Have you gotten a chance to see the eggs at all? If you see fungus growing on the eggs, then they aren't fertilized. My only guess is that as Peter said, there is a chance that the male may be infertile or, if present, there may be predation happening. The female may be eating them if she doesn't feel comfortable with possible threats also, so it may not even be outside predation. john.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….