• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lowering PH using RO / Nano Cube / eco-complete

libasci

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I am pretty new to apistos (Have had aquariums off an on for 15 years) - I have three new tanks going (all 12 gallon nano cubes) right now. I have some borelli, one pair of white cacs and one pair viejita's in them.

Here are my questions I started the tanks with chicago tap water and have been doing 20% water changes bi-weekly with pure RO and have a small bag Fluval peat in the filter. My PH still seems to be between 7.0 - 7.5, I tested my RO it is around 6.5. How do people get there water so soft with out using chemicals.

Next questions has anyone used the Nano-cube for breeding apistos? Will the current be to strong for them?

Has anyone used the substrate eco-complete for plants (could this be buffering my water)?

Last question is there an easy way to tell female non-yellow cac from a borelli cac?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi libasci,

I haven't used RO water myself yet. But I'm planning to get an RO filter during the fall, so I've been reading about it.

I've read that RO water doesn't always effect the pH much, but is more effective at removing hardness. What is the GH and KH readings of your water? Perhaps it's already soft? From the way your post is worded, it appears that you might be confusing softness with your pH reading?

Michael

aspen

5 Year Member
pure water has a ph of 7.0. in my 2 elizabethae tanks i have used 1 gal of tapwater and 9 gals or r/o. the ph stuck just around 7. after adding some peat tea, i have lowered it to 5.8 or so and will keep going till i have the mix right, hopefully around 5.0. it is easier to lower the ph of very soft water. my tapwater won't hardly budge, or will spring back quickly. i find that these 2 tanks are pretty stable at a low ph so far.

rick

libasci

5 Year Member
Current PH / GH & KH

Hi all thanks for the replies my current GH is about 8 and KH is about 4.
I have been adding Electro-Right to my RO before adding it to tanks.

libasci

5 Year Member
Must be doing something, Borelli may have eggs

Well,
I might be doing something right I think one of my female borelli has laid eggs on the underside of a cave like piece of drift wood. I was not positive had to run to work but it looked like there were little eggs above one that was protecting a section of the cave.

mervin

5 Year Member
Re: Current PH / GH & KH

libasci said:
Hi all thanks for the replies my current GH is about 8 and KH is about 4.
I have been adding Electro-Right to my RO before adding it to tanks.

no wonder your Ph is still that high.
you might want to go easy with the Electro right stuff.

anyway, congras on your spawn !!!

:lol:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….