• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

List Of Dwarf Cichlid Species

mematrix

5 Year Member
Hi All I was wondering If there was a list of all known species of dwarfs from the various continents
these are what i know of correct me if Im wrong
New World: Apistogramma ,Apistogrammoide, Microgeophagus, keyhole acaras, dicrossus, nannacara, taeniacara, laetacara, herotilapia multispinosa

Old World: neolamprologus, eretmodus, lamprologus, pelvicachromis, hemichromis, steatocraneus, nanochromis, julidochromis, etroplus, anomalochromis, chalinochromis, Teleogramma, Gobiocichla,

Asian: Etroplus

Thanks Curtis

DwarfApisto

Try Jeff, @aquaticclarity.com if you are looking to get your hands on some of those species?! He has alot of nice apistos right now,and alot more to come in the next few weeks. Great guy to deal with!!! All are wild caught specimins

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I keep a list of species for all genera of Neotropical dwarf cichlds - at least those genera that fit Vierke's definition. It is similar to Loiselle's. Some of your genera don't fit these definitions: Cleithracara (Keyholes) and Archocentrus (formerly Herotilapia) multispinosus. These fish are what I consider "Small cichlids" along with the species of Ivanacara, Teleocichlia, and dwarf Crenicichla. Other genera that I consider 'dwarf' include Crenicara, Biotoecus, and Mazarunia. TomC has my list of apistos (including Apistogrammoides & Taeniacara) on his web site: http://apisto.sites.no/. It says it's from 2008, but I think I sent an update in 2011. I guess we'll need a new update but we still have some species we collected last Fall that don't have names yet.

mematrix

5 Year Member
I keep a list of species for all genera of Neotropical dwarf cichlds - at least those genera that fit Vierke's definition. It is similar to Loiselle's. Some of your genera don't fit these definitions: Cleithracara (Keyholes) and Archocentrus (formerly Herotilapia) multispinosus. These fish are what I consider "Small cichlids" along with the species of Ivanacara, Teleocichlia, and dwarf Crenicichla. Other genera that I consider 'dwarf' include Crenicara, Biotoecus, and Mazarunia. TomC has my list of apistos (including Apistogrammoides & Taeniacara) on his web site: http://apisto.sites.no/. It says it's from 2008, but I think I sent an update in 2011. I guess we'll need a new update but we still have some species we collected last Fall that don't have names yet.

Hi Mike thank you for the info yea the list i came up with was a conglomeration I cobbled together from doing google search I know some of the info was probably out of date Thanks again Im glad apistogramma.com is still here I had to leave the hobby a few yrs back and am just getting back into it now.

Also Thanks Dwarfapisto I have delt with aquaticclarity back before i had to leave the hobby and yes he is a good resource and If seen his stock list and way better than his early days lol

Curtis

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I started it in 1984 using PaperClip word processor (Commodore 64 - remember those?). I then input the data into MS Access (97) back in 1998 and later converted it to MS Word. I guess I could re-convert it to Access or Excel, but haven't needed to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….