• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Less aggressive apisto

I was wondering which of these apisto species would be the least aggressive?

Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma barlowi, Apistogramma eunotus, Apistogramma allpahuayo, apistogramma agassizii, apistogramma cacatuoides

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
IMHO A. eunotus forms tend to be less aggressive. These species are not highly polygamous, like A. agassizii, A. cacatuoides and A. allpahuayo, nor well known for their aggressive tendencies like A. barlowi. The first 3 species are strongly polygamous and males try to establish as large a territory as possible. If a female is not ready to breed the males try to drive them away in hopes of finding a more willing partner. Eunotus forms are what I call casually polygamous. They will breed with any female but are just as willing to 'accept what comes'. There are exceptions to every rule, of course.

MacZ

Not to forget tank dimensions and structure. A 200 liter tank, badly structured, is just as much a guarantee for aggression problems as is a 60 liter tank with perfect structure but a dozen of very territorial fish in it.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
You should, of course, listen to Mike. Based on others’ accounts, I’ve seen a lot of success with cacatuoides compared with agassizzii and allpahuayo, but this is partly due to the popularity of the aquarium strains. In terms of availability, I have seen eunotus listed before, but not that often.

Ah ok, my tank is going to be a 20 gallon long so it’ll be 30 inches long, the other stocking will be 8 marbled hatchetfish and 6 otocinclus cocama. I’m looking for a wild pair so whatever’s known to be the most docile in the wild would be the best

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Apistos aren't super docile in general, but that's what makes them interesting. I think you can go with a number of choices and be OK as long as you're paying attention. I'm not aware that wild caught cacatuoides are any more aggressive than the domestic strains.

If you want to go by the suggestion of species that aren't highly polygamous, you can look elsewhere in <the regani lineage>. As I suggested before, the borellii complex or the alacrina group could work. Also Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis.

Elsewhere in the lineage is the macmasteri group, whose members have a reputation for being a bit more boisterous than the above groups.

I would definitely avoid the ortegai subcomplex if you're looking for docile.

Ok so I think I’m gonna go with Apistogrammoides Pucallpaensis. What male to female ratio should I do? The tank dimensions are 30.25 x 12.5 x 12.75 inches, the other stocking will be 8 marbled hatchetfish and 6 otocinclus cocama.

MacZ

Apistogrammoides are known to live among floating plants. Might get into conflict with the hatchets.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
They’re typically kept in pairs, but if the seller has an excess of females, I think it’s reasonable to try a trio.

You’ll have to wait until the spring orders come in, but you should be able to find them. In the meantime, you want lots of infusoria building up in your tanks. The fry are so tiny, they won’t take BBS right away.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Best way is to keep a lot of floating plants and mosses and let the tank mature. People also culture rotifers and paramecium, but I’ve never done it.

Ram breeders also use vinegar eels or microworms for fry that are too small for BBS. I’m not sure if Apistogrammoides fry will take that or not, but it’s really cheap to try.

MacZ

Also, is there any way I can reduce aggression between the Apistogrammoides and hatchets?
It's not about aggression and if so it's one-sided the cichlids shushing away the hatchets. It's just that both species like the same part of the water column. Conflict would simply mean stress for both species. Though if the cichlids start to breed... only way would be to remove the hatchets in that case.

It's not about aggression and if so it's one-sided the cichlids shushing away the hatchets. It's just that both species like the same part of the water column. Conflict would simply mean stress for both species. Though if the cichlids start to breed... only way would be to remove the hatchets in that case.
I’m a little confused because I can’t find anywhere that says the apistogrammoides like to stay at the top, and all the videos I’ve seen of em just show them staying at the bottom. Where did you find that info?

MacZ

I’m a little confused because I can’t find anywhere that says the apistogrammoides like to stay at the top, and all the videos I’ve seen of em just show them staying at the bottom. Where did you find that info?
Watching them in the tank of a friend. He has had a few for a while and they stayed among the roots of Pistia and Limnobium a lot. You will find the info as well on Tom's Homepage .

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….