• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leaf litter?

Iamtechno13

Now that I'm really getting into this I figure I should know this. I see that leaf litter can be fairly beneficial in multiple ways but I guess I'm curious as to what is the best type of leaf to use if there is one? How long would you typically leave them in before changing? And I guess is there anything else I need to know about this?

regani

5 Year Member
Many types of leaves, once brown and dry, are suitable. Most commonly used are probably oak, maple, or Indian almond leaves, depending on where in the world you are or what you can your hands on.
The important thing is not to pick green leaves but use the leaves that have naturally browned and fallen off the three as that means all easily available nutrients have been drawn out of the leaf leaving mostly slow degrading fibrous material.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I never remove the leaves. I only remove what is left (detritus) after the leaves have disintegrated. I do this while siphoning the substrate during water changes. Regani gives you good advice. Leaves of trees that naturally live in acidic soil generally are better (one of the reasons the soil is acidic) for blackwater tanks.

Iamtechno13

So how long do the leaves typically take to break down? How long does the whole process typically take? And do I have to worry about an ammonia spike or anything negative like that? I see it softens the water a little bit and lowers the pH a little bit?

Mol_PMB

It depends on the type of leaf, typically 4 weeks? I find that oak leaves last longer than Catappa.

regani

5 Year Member
As Paul said, it can take from a few weeks to a couple of months depending on the type of leave.
If the leaves are dried dead leaves you won't have to worry about nutrient/ammonia spike as there is not much left in the leaves in terms of nutrients.
I have put up to maybe 3-4 good handfuls of leaves in a 2ft tank and have not had any problems

Iamtechno13

I guess that kind of brings me to my next question. How many leaves of a particular size would typically be used/ok roughly for a 40Gallon tank?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've been using the dead leaves of Magnolia grandiflora as "structural" leaf litter. They are more persistent than Oak (Quercus) , Beech (Fagus) or Indian Almond Leaves (Terminalia catappa). I usually use Oak and Magnolia leaves, withthe Magnolia leaves lasting up to 6 months. Have a look at this thread <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/what-dead-leaves-used-in-tanks.12777/>.

You can buy Magnolia grandiflora leaves for use in "Dart Frog" vivaria, if you can't source them locally.

cheers Darrel

jumpmaster

If you are using oak leaves, collect them far from major roads or industrial areas, and give them a proper wash.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I recommend treating them like salad lettuce: spray wash well & dry in a salad spinner. Then a 1 minute 'nuke' in the mircrowave and they're ready.

jumpmaster

I like using Indian almond leaves. I always break three or four up and plop them into the tank. Every two weeks I brew up black water with the leaves and add it to the tank after a major water change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….