• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara dorsigerus 'Schwarz'

Ekona

5 Year Member
I have a pair of L. dorsigerus 'Schwarz' that I am offering for sale. I will be moving soon and I must dismantle my fish room. When spawning, both male and female, instead of becoming an intense red or wine color, take on a jet black coloration - a very cool fish. These are a wild pair that I have had for about 4 months. They are in perfect health and have excellent body shape and fins. They are about 2 to 2.5" in length so still have a lot of growing to do.
If you can raise dwarf cichlid fry, you will have lots of these in no time.
This is the first time in over thirty years in the hobby that I have seen this form of dorsigerus so I know they are quite rare. I am selling this rare wild pair for $40.00. I would like them to go to someone who has a definite interest in breeding this fish and keeping in the hobby and is a member of this forum.

Below is a photo of a female of this form that I got off the net a while ago that will give you an idea of what these look like when colored up. Although not a photo of the fish I have, mine look every bit as good as the one shown with almost identical form and coloration.
dorsigerablack.jpg

If you are interested, please PM me with any questions you might have.

hambone

Schwarz

Hello,
I am new to the dwarf cichlids but I do have laetacara dorsigerus sold to me as curviceps. Can you forward me some photos of your Laetacara "Schwarz"?
I am finding that there are many Laetacara species but many arent common to the trade. Do you know of one I think it is called Ivanacara adoketa??

I guess my biggest concern is that you could keep them with Apisto's and that they wouldnt eat my plants.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ivanacara adoketa originally was described as Nannacara adoketa. It now is recognized that it is not a true Nannacara. Actually the genus Ivanacara is a cichlasomine genus intermediate between Nannacara and Laetacara. My experience with I. adoketa is that, for a small species, it is quite aggressive. The genus name indicates this. It was named for the Russian Czar Ivan the Terrible. I wouldn't mix it with apistos unless it was a very large aquarium (6 ft. or more long). Most people keep them in species/breeding tanks. Mine didn't bother the plants - each other yes, but not the plants.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Does your answer indicate that you believe this "black" is Ivanocara ?
No, Ivanacara adoketa is a very different beast, the Laetacara dorsigera "schwarz", are a dark line bred form of L. dorsigera (presumably breed in Germany schwarz = black). I've never seen a live one, but there are some very attractive pictures in DATZ Sonderheft/special publication "Südamerikanische Zwergcichliden/South American Dwarf Cichlids" (a book MW contributed to).

cheers Darrel

hambone

Species help

Hello,

Thanks for your advise on Ivanacara. Sounds like it is out do to its aggressive nature. I was wondering what cichlid species you would recommend for my community tank. It is a 125 and I currently have Bolivan Rams that are making nesting sites. They are kind of tearing up my plants. Along with Florida Flag fish, blue tetra's, L. dorsiger, X Ray tetra's, Golden topminnows, Golden wonder killi's, Rainbow killi's, Black Banded Sunfish, Longfinned wht clouds. I want smaller species that wont tear up my tank. Smaller being 3 inces or less. I look forward to seeing your response. Also if you could tell me where to purchase the fish that would being great.

Thanks again,

Mark

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think we need more information about your water values: pH, dGH, dKH. If your Bolivan Rams are happy, then probably one of the more common apistos like A. borellii or A. cacatuoides would work. Another nice species that won't get lost in a large aquarium is Cleithracara moronii (Keyhole Cichlid). They are not common, and get to about 5"/13cm, but are as peaceful a cichlid as can be found and they don't need extreme water condition and don't tear up plants.

hambone

Water conditions

Thanks again for the feedback,

My water is somewhat hard and a little acidic for the killi's. I left out my keyhole cichlid and least killifish. Some of the fish stores that I talk to say water hardness is not a big deal for most fish. I am looking to get some apisto's along with German blue or Gold rams. Also i was hoping to come across nanacara sp?? and various laetacara. My next tank will be 200-300gallon.

Thanks,

Mark

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….