• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kribs spawned in community tank,, quick question.

Dan724

5 Year Member
They are very good a guarding eggs. will they be able to defend fry just as well? or once free swimming should I scoop them out? ok thats 2 questions.

There are some really terrors in my 50gal. two growing angels and 4 killis that hover on top and eat anything that go near. Various tetras. pair of blue rams and pair of bolivan rams. any pointers would be appreciated.

kribber

5 Year Member
It depends on your priorities and (other) tank space. If you want to keep the fry I would move the other fish or divide the tank. Either option should be done when the fry are a few days old and with as little commotion as possible. If they are still just eggs the female is more likely to eat them.
I find the fry do much better when left with their parents. If the tank is left as it is most (all?) of the fry will be eaten and your other fish will be punished. Kribs breed readily once they start.

Neil

Dan724,

I tend to agree with kribber here. Most Pelvicachromis species are excellent parents and will VIOLENTLY defend their fry, but that is just too many fish that are going to want a piece of the action. But if anyone can defend them in there, it is a pulcher pair.

Neil

Dan724

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! The only other tank space is a small 5 gallon. I don't think I wil be able to move other tank mates. Dividing tank with little commotion will be difficullt. I think I'll just have to let them take there chances, I wish I didn;t have too. I will have to get another tank for the pair of kribs. I'm totally amazed by the care of the parents. They chase off much larger fish, bolivan rams and angels. AMAZING!! I was able to watch the spawning also.

If I was to remove fry to my 5gal. At what point do I remove them? Or should not bother because they need parental care! Thanks again.

kribber

5 Year Member
You could try siphoning off half the fry to place in the 5 gallon (with some java moss and bbs feedings) and see what happens. I'm not very experienced with raising the fry so I would like to leave them with the parents for at least a week of free swimming. One of my krib pairs have been quite tolerant of their dithers but my 5 other pairs become very aggressive. They will breed readily so you may just want to prepare for a continual onslaught of fry. I keep my kribs in species tanks. Perhaps a few dithers until the fry start moving about, but then I remove them.
Neil would be better able to advise you on this.

Dan724

5 Year Member
:( I noticed last night that most of the eggs where gone!! I was warned(thanks kribber). This morning they are all gone. The female has already seemed to pick a new spot (very close to first one). So I should expect more eggs soon(how long?).

Thanks for the sound advice, try to siphon off after a week. the five gallon is presently set up with 4 pencilfish, rocks driftwood, lots of plants and java moss. I do also have some killi fry I found the other day in my filter(very hardy is an understatment). They are doing well. the pencilfish seem to ignore them. At 1 week what size would the fry be? Do you think they would be safe with other tank dwellers? Thanks again.

kribber

5 Year Member
If the eggs are gone the female probably ate them.
Now that you are waiting for a second batch it is the perfect time to divide the tank or set up a new one. My advise to siphon off some of the fry was meant to save some in case your other fish were successfully predating the fry. I wouldn't recommend it as a breeding strategy. It is much easier to leave the fry with the parents. They grow faster and are much more active. I tried removing some fry once but ended up putting them back with the parents. The fry grow much faster and are more active with the parents. The adults tend to show the best color when they are parading around with their offspring.
If you leave the adults in the present tank you may be playing with fire. Some of my kribs SEVERELY punish other tank-mates once the fry are swimming around and the kribs may not appreciate having their fry yanked from them (it's not that easy once they are zipping around).
Mine breed about once a month. If the female has eaten the eggs she should fatten up quickly but who knows when she can or will re-lay.

Dan724

5 Year Member
I was wondering if a 10gal tank would be enough for the pair to successfully spawn and rear fry? I do have a spare tank and enough space. Thanks again for your sound advice.

kribber

5 Year Member
I have 2 of my pairs each in a 10 gallon and they breed just fine. Each krib has a different personality, you just have to put them together and see what happens. Giving them their own tank will certainly make your life easier and make your fishes life better to. Some krib pairs get very shy if they are the only fish in the tank and dithers may be required to get them out and about. I have a few solitary pairs (no dithers) that will come to the surface an take the food right out of the medicine dropper (not shy at all).

Dan724

5 Year Member
********UPDATE************* THIS JUST IN!!

Good news!! Eggs where not eaten. It seems the parents have moved the fry to a deeper hole in driftwood! I saw something move, I shined a flashlight down the hole and to my surprise I saw a bunch of fry wiggling about. I did set up the 10 gallon tank today. It is cycling as I type this! Yes parents are TERRORS!! What to do now?

kribber

5 Year Member
You think they are terrors now? Just wait until the fry are free swimming and moving about the tank, that's when the real damage begins.
I would divide the tank. If the other side of the tank is a little crowded put some of those fish in the 10 gallon. To divide the tank you could get some egg-grate and cut it so size. You don't actually have to cut it you can break a straight line with a heavy kitchen knife (the plastic "ribs" are very brittle. Hold it in place the the bottom with rocks and at the top with suction cups. You could cover the egg-grate with vinyl window screening. After a couple of weeks the fry would be good on their own. I would tend to leave them in the large tank and remove the parents.

Dan724

5 Year Member
I think it would be difficult(make a mess) to divide my planted tank. Could I just move fry(once free swimming) and parents to 10gal tank? If it is possible. Will the fry die due to different enviorment.

Oh god it gets worse??? They rule the tank now!

Dan724

5 Year Member
The female has moved the fry today. They seem to be or close to free swimming. How long untill the fry will accept bbs? I think I should wait a few days to transfer fry and parents to there own 10 gallon. Thanks agian for all your advice.

Dan724

5 Year Member
The fry have been free swimming for a couple of days now. It seems all tank mates are STAYING AWAY. It is amazing how good parents they are. I have decided not to move the parents. The reason being is, it seems the fry are grazing on debris on fine green algae.

I do think I should move the large female bolivan, who seems to get most of the aggression from male. Do you think a pair of adult bolivans' will fare well in a 10gallon? Is there enough territory for each to have. Thanks again.

kribber

5 Year Member
Good to hear your fry are swimming around. You'll have to figure out what works for you with the rams. My adults fall into 2 groups. One of my pairs are fairly good with other fish when they have fry but only a few fry survive. A couple of my other krib pairs severely punish any tank-mates.

Dan724

5 Year Member
I'm still amazed at there parenting skills. they don't seem to have lost one of the fry, there is so many!! I think I'm fortunate that they are in a 50 gallon. Plenty of room for the other fish to escape too.

I was wondering how long will the fry be with the parents. when is the right time to remove them? What are they eating, will I have supplement with either bbs or other fry food?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….