• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

keeping and breeding Biotodoma cupido

joemc

5 Year Member
Hi, here are a few notes based on my keeping of these fish,
tank details
6x2x2 with 30 gallon sump tenp approx. 25c going up or down a degree summer / winter
regular large water changes
décor
silica sand substrate, rocks, wood and a few plants in the tank
tankmates
has varied over the last few years, other eartheaters,angels tetras and catfish
water params kh under 2 ph around 6.5 straight from my tap, unheated and no water conditioners as I have my own well and there are no additives in the water.
the wild caught fish were bought at about an inch in total length, (12 week old fish, based on the growth of my offspring ) and took 2 years to reach maturity and spawn
the fry I held back from different spawnings reached sexual maturity and spawned at approx. 1 year of age
they fish are few a mix of all sorts of food, flake, pellets crumb, live and occasionally frozen foods, the fry are fed the same foods crushed down and also decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.
the captive bred fish show none of the skittishness that the wild caught fish are occasionally prone to if startled.
spawning
female darkens and cleans the chosen surface, usually the side of a rock (they don't span in a pit in the sand as some people suggest)
female lays all her eggs while male looks on, then he is allowed in to fertilize them in one passing, the female then moves in and vigorously fans the eggs
the eggs are attached to the surface with a thin filament and as the female fans the eggs they lift from the rock
hatching about 4 days later and free swimming around day 8
fry take powdered tetra prima, b.b.s, micro worms, banana worm, walter worm from day one and grow quickly
I will double check my notes in case there are any errors in what I wrote, if you have ay questions type away and I will try to answer.
anyone looking or some of these fish, just give me a shout
joe

joemc

5 Year Member
you are welcome, I will post the link to the videos here as I presume the buy / sell thread gets deleted after a while
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHtQqo5kaaEXRKrJZ2f_Jzg
I took another video of the fry on the 20th of august, a month after the last one I posted to show their growth rate, but will not get to load it onto utube till the weekend as my youngest took the camera and memory card on hols with him!

Mol_PMB

I'm about to commission a 4'x2'x2' and my intention is to move my cupids into that, and also keep a pair of young Pseudacanthicus.
My 5 wild Cupids are currently about 2" in length and just beginning to show a little colour in the fins. I have nice soft water here in Manchester and would love to breed them.
Thanks for the inspiration :)

Malefactor2000

I don't know what my TDS, but i use RO/DI and remineralize with Equilibrium to 5dgH (For optimal plant growth) and 4 dkH with Acid / Alkaline Buffer and a pH of 6.6 when CO2 isn't running. Drops to about 5.8 during the day with CO2. Think that's good enough to keep wild caught? I'm actually planning a 130 gallon Discus, Cupido Santerem, Dicrossus and Mikrogeophagus Ramizeri planted tank atm. Throwing in a few Emperor Tetra and Bristlenose as well.

joemc

5 Year Member
Hi Evan,
sorry, no i don't know where they were collected, I bought a 1/4 box of them from Aquarium Glaser, I will check through my old mails and see if it gave a location, if not i will mail them and see if they can answer
cheers
joe

Mol_PMB

Success at last :)
More on my 'Cupid's Arrow' thread.

Thanks for the inspiration, Joe :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 894

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….