• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

just a quick question

wickedglass

5 Year Member
most of you probably know the peruvian export list ... as you're aware a lot of the names on that list are either outdated, incorrect or unvalidated. One of our local importers has imported a few fish through this list, and a couple of the fish I haven't been able to find much info on, if anyone could help with the correct classification or point a finger in the direction of some valid info on these fish I'd be very grateful.

the two species I'm seeking info on are

Apistogramma paracas
Apistogramma melgar jumbo

only info I could so far find is that

on Thursday, December 12, 2002 10:31 PM Mike wise wrote that:

... I would say that A. sp. Paracas
& Kiko are forms of A. cf. eunotus
Orange-tail/Orangeschwanz. They look very
much like the A. sp. Willy form.

but that was in 2002 and things might have changed by now and his observations were based on images which were sent to him. the melgar I can find no info on whatsoever, it just come up with various sites posting the export list.

I'd be grateful for any help on tracking down what these guys really are.

cheers
Chris

wickedglass

5 Year Member
it's hard, here in australia we're as far removed from the source as we get, and the net doesn't offer much info, if any, on the species on this list, as I'm going through it ... it's weird to have this list as a hard copy which looks like something they're sure of and then half of it is made up names that aren't even close to valid taxa or their temporary equivalents. I'm going through as a favour to our importer, because I'd love to see a greater variety of apistogramma in australia and it's doing my head in ... thanks for the lead on the melgar

a.d.wood

5 Year Member
Hi there,

Not sure how much help these images will be, but these are from a CD sent to me earlier this year from one of the Peruvian export companies:

Apisto 'Paracas'
Apist. paracas.JPG

Apisto 'Melgar'
Apist. melgar 1.JPG

Apist. melgar.JPG

Hopefully some one on here may be able to point you in the right direction as to possible ID.

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In the past the name A. sp. Melgar was used for A. sp. Nanay, introduced by Melgar in 1999. It is a cruzi-like species from the Río Nanay (NOT A. sp. Nanay by Römer, which is A. sp. Papagei/Parrot from 1000 Km away, in the Rio Ampiyacu). Andrew's photo of A. sp. Nanay might not be the same. The bottom photo seems to show a split in Bar 6 that A. sp. Nanay/Melgar does not show. Andrew's photo of Paracas does not show enough diagnostic feature to say what it is. It might be a eunotus-complex form. Every exporter in Peru seems to have its own name for some fish - and it changes from time to time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….