• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ivanacara Adoketa.

ste12000

5 Year Member
I have been aware of these fish for over a year now and up until last month i didnt really have much interest in them, yes they were stunning fish but they grow larger than my usual dwarfs and are supposidly more aggressive (Ive not yet witnessed that much aggression?).
At the Manchester auction a few weeks back i bid on and won a adult pair of these stunning fish. Upon getting them back to the fishroom i decided to house them in my largest tank which is currently full of medium sized angelfish. This tank was meant to be a holding tank until one of my breeding tank became free and i could move them over!!!!

Things dont always go to plan and i have had a feeling the fish were going to spawn over the last few days..Late on the (16th oct) at around 10pm the pair started spawning just inside an overturned spawning cone. They have laid aprox 150 eggs and are both stand guard as i type..Ive left the light on in the fishroom to allow them to see and protect the eggs and ill see how they get on..Fingers crossed...

FEMALE
DSCF3512.jpg

PAIR SPAWNING.
Adoketa.jpg

DSCF3537.jpg

DSCF3540.jpg

DSCF3561.jpg

Bev N

Apisto Club
5 Year Member
Congrats! You've given me hope. I had gotten six from Dave a few months back and two have paired up and I've moved them into their own tank. The male is in full breeding colors.

Again congrats and please let me know the water parameters. I've been told these will only breed in pure ro water but I'm guessing that isn't the case for you.

Good luck with the spawn.

Bev

ste12000

5 Year Member
Congrats! You've given me hope. I had gotten six from Dave a few months back and two have paired up and I've moved them into their own tank. The male is in full breeding colors.

Again congrats and please let me know the water parameters. I've been told these will only breed in pure ro water but I'm guessing that isn't the case for you.

Good luck with the spawn.

Bev

Thanks Bev...You will not believe the water conditions. Obviously i had read up before hand and knew they were found in soft water with a PH in the low 5's to mid 4's, this is how i would of set up my breeding tank..Luckily i didnt get that far and now have eggs that are two days old and fertile!!!

The water out of my tap is brilliant, its extremly soft and you would swear is pumped directly from the Rio Tefe....Tds is 64ppm and the water they spawned in is PH 6 (ish!!) my Ph meter broke last week so im not exactly positive but experience of my water tells me it is 6.7 out of the tap, the tank didnt have a water change for three days before spawning, i would assume that the fish wastes have dropped the ph to around 6. Thats the usual chain of events...
Goodluck with yours, it looks like mine are going to break all the rules with this spawning. Good food, good clean soft water and a PH below 6.5 seems to be all thats required..Oh yeah and a good pair.

viejo

5 Year Member
I wonder if the slightly more alkaline pH will have any effect on the sex ratio? Personally, I doubt it. Scewed ratios are more likely caused by temp or other parameters that haven't yet occured to the 'experts' :biggrin: .

Adoketa

5 Year Member
Hi folks, sorry for digging up an old thread. I recently got my hands on a small colony of adoketa. It's just odd that I read they can grow quite large before pairing up but I've already got 1 pair keeping together and chasing others away, and moving sand around under a mound of moss. Their bands have darkened tremendously. Both are almost the same size, at 6.5 cm, give or take 1/2 cm.
That's less than 3 inches and i can see no sexual dimorphism on either one.

My question is this - how likely is it that they are a pair and are trying to spawn? Of course, this gets me excited to no end, but at the same time I would like to know if this sort of "role-playing" happens all the way till they reach a certain size or are they kinda like apistos, where they can start spawning at a pretty precocious age.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyiahib

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….