• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a female

Garryevans2018

Hi everyone,
Hoping for some help, I bought (what I was told) a male and female apisto. Now I’ve read males can be aggressive to a female which isn’t ready, which I’m hoping for. Just wanted someone with experience to have a look and confirm this is a female. It’s under some stress from the male, he keeps pulling up next to her, fluffing his fins and coming out in colour. She swims off and then we go through a spell of him being aggressive to her, chasing her away. I have a tank with good hiding spots, plenty of live plants, so it’s not constant, plus other fish that keep him busy for periods chasing them off. Am I just worrying too much and it’s a female not quite ready and settling in?

Attachments

• 4BCA4AA3-15DE-44DE-9E53-8474E385C667.png
    4BCA4AA3-15DE-44DE-9E53-8474E385C667.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 183

yukondog

5 Year Member
Welcome to the sight

Garryevans2018

It looks young still and not sure but it looks like it getting torn up fins, I would remove it to another tank and give it time to heal. Good luck

Garryevans2018

Welcome to the sight

Garryevans2018

It looks young still and not sure but it looks like it getting torn up fins, I would remove it to another tank and give it time to heal. Good luck
Thanks for your reply, think that’s best. The other which is definitely a male is a good bit bigger as well. I was hoping it would calm down or stop, but if you think it’s best to remove it from the tank we will, as that’s what we was thinking.

CRD

Looks male to me. Picture isn't the greatest, but the dorsal fin looks to have a bit of extension on the posterior side, and It seems to have some dorsal extensions on the anterior of it.

Garryevans2018

Looks male to me. Picture isn't the greatest, but the dorsal fin looks to have a bit of extension on the posterior side, and It seems to have some dorsal extensions on the anterior of it.
Thank you for your reply, bought from a new place near by. Was told they had two males and two females, said I’d have one of each. I’ve been looking online, various websites, pics, forums the lot and that was what I was thinking. Moving it into another tank tomorrow and have ordered from another place females. With it being young and considerably smaller than other was hoping it was a female, but the fins didn’t match up with what I was reading online. Thank you once again for you reply, really appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….