• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID this fungus algae thing?

aarhud

5 Year Member
Hello,

This fungus/algae grows on some wood I put in my aquariums. I have had it for several months. If I let it grow, it gets fairly large.I usually just siphon it off the wood when it gets too large. I actually like it, I think it looks cool and its easy to control it from spreading. Only seems to grow on wood.

Any ideas what it is?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It is a fungus somewhere close to Leptomitus lacteus. These are associated with the presence of biodegradable organic matter in the water, so there was some sap left in the wood. You can just syphon it out.

Cheers Darrel

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Good to know dw. Have had this on wood (especially 'new' wood), when setting up tanks. Never found it to be harmful, just unsightly. I normally have to rub it a little to get it to come off. Thanks for the info and for the question aarhud.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….