• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID cac sex please

Boupette

5 Year Member
Hi! I have a new pair of cacatuoides, can you tell me if I really have male and female, cos I think the 1rst 2 pics is looking quite like a male but the seller told me it's definitly a female. What do you think? Thanks!

Female?
img_4910.jpg

Female?
femell10.jpg

Male
male_c10.jpg

wethumbs

5 Year Member
You got a 'brokeback' pair. The 'shemale' is also stunted or is a runt.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Brokeback as in the movie Brokeback Mountain (2 males living together). The problem with domestic color strains of A. cacatuoides is that females develop many masculine attributes. Your 'female' shows attributes of a male (extended anterior dorsal spines, caudal fin tips, no black on the ventral fins) but also a female (blunt dorsal and anal fin tips, deeper less elongated body shape). Behavior often can be used to determine sex when other features don't. How large are your fish?

wethumbs

5 Year Member
The color on the ventral fins tell me it is a male. I have yet to see a 'super red' female with that feature. Only males develop that coloration on the ventral. The reason I said it is stunted is due to the eye size to body ratio. But as Mike said, behavioral interaction will help give you clue about their sexes. Ultimately, they should be spawning very soon at that size if he is indeed a she. I am still putting my money on them as 'brokeback' pair.

Boupette

5 Year Member
They don't show yet any particular breedind behaviour. I have another female with them but this one is really a "normal female" cacatuoides but she's smaller. But again no reaction from the male nor the females. I never saw this, completly denatured. I hope it's gonna change cos' they really beautiful.

Boupette

5 Year Member
Here's an update of what my "supposed female" looks like today, do you still think it could be a female?

00811.jpg

I'm looking for another female cac and someone wants to sell me this one, can you tell me if it really is a female cacatuoides?
cac10.jpg

Thanks for you help!

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Like I said before, you got a 'brokeback' pair. A very nice looking cacatuoides 'Super Red' male tho.

Boupette

5 Year Member
You won't beleive it!!! Here's again another pic of what became my "shemale" of my initial message!! Looks like a pentacle red - quadruple red?? Doesn't even look the same at all!!

femell10.jpg

1-dsc_12.jpg

1-dsc_11.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….