• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I think my cacs have given up on their eggs

sherry

5 Year Member
the female isn't in the cave she laid in anymore...

is this youth? or a first time to be expected occurance?

should I peek under the coconut shell to see what is going on.. or be more patient and leave it alone?

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I'd be more patient. If you mess with the cave,rock,wood anything she has layed the eggs on she's going to see this as you trying to hurt the eggs and will eaf them before she lets something or some one get to them.
My female cockatoo did that when i lefted the dwarf wood up to get a egg count. Not 30mins. After looking I noticed she was { what I thought at the time moving them} But turned out she was eatting them her and the male. So my option would to just set back and wait til around the 7th day. When if she's had eggs. The newly free swimming will come out with her.
Now the secound fry I ook and hatched myelf. She hasn't layed eggs again sents I did this.

Cowboy

5 Year Member
A number of things could be happening. Perhaps the male did not fertilize the eggs, or maybe she ate them. I have had females that age their eggs after only a day. Many say that this behavior is just new mother syndrome and that it takes a few times to get it right. Other females know just what to do the first time.

What is her color now?

I would agree with Apisto Ranch and wait a couple more days. But if she is not even going near the shell durring the day, chances are it is a no go.

Good luck!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
THe eggs may also have hatched and the female has moved them. Watch to see if she frequently visits a different spot in the tank. If ther pair are the only fish in the tank, she might not stay with the larvae all the time. My female laid a huge batch of eggs, and a couple days after I noticed teh eggs were gone. The female did not seem to be brooding, other than her color. I thouhg tht espawn was lost for some reason. A few days later there were close to 100 fry in the tank.

sherry

5 Year Member
well she is still in the community tank and she isn't yellow anymore :(

but I will hold off fussing. I'll let you know in a few days.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….