• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to set up tank

L

Little G

I am new to the world of Cichlids, so new infact that I don't have any yet. I prefer to research my chosen family/species before I get any.
I have no idea how to go about setting up a tank for Apistos. I want something hardy and small and cute, and these fish fit the bill. After this summer my goldfish will be too big for their 20G which currently houses them...living in a pond makes them grow like mad. Soooo I am going to buy a bigger tank for the GF and hopefully hoouse some apistos in the 20G. I've heard of people using dried oak or almond leaves in the water..not sure why.
How do I go about hardening or softening the water as they case may be? I don't know how to alter water chem which is why I have goldfish and nothing more difficult. I really want to set up the 20G as a SA biotope, with tetra dithers, amazon swords no corys though because if the cichlids breed I don't want them being injured.
Is peat filter required? How does one go about that. I have SOOOO many questions and am open too all info anyone can throw my directions.
thanks in advance!!

Apistt_ed

Little G said:
I am new to the world of Cichlids, so new infact that I don't have any yet. I prefer to research my chosen family/species before I get any.
I have no idea how to go about setting up a tank for Apistos. I want something hardy and small and cute, and these fish fit the bill. After this summer my goldfish will be too big for their 20G which currently houses them...living in a pond makes them grow like mad. Soooo I am going to buy a bigger tank for the GF and hopefully hoouse some apistos in the 20G. I've heard of people using dried oak or almond leaves in the water..not sure why.
How do I go about hardening or softening the water as they case may be? I don't know how to alter water chem which is why I have goldfish and nothing more difficult. I really want to set up the 20G as a SA biotope, with tetra dithers, amazon swords no corys though because if the cichlids breed I don't want them being injured.
Is peat filter required? How does one go about that. I have SOOOO many questions and am open too all info anyone can throw my directions.
thanks in advance!!

First of all, oak leaves and or almond leaves make a great additive to apisto tanks because they are comfortable amongst them. In the wild, most apistos can be found in the shallows of lagoons, ponds, lakes, and rivers where there isn't much plant growth except leaf litter that has collected so it's an issue of them being most comfortable in that.
In your 20g, a pair of fish or trio would do fine. As far as conditioning your water, if your water is near neutral ph and slightly hard, you could probably hold A. cacatuoides or A. borellii which would do fine in that water not even being treated except for taking out the chlorine with minimum treatment.
As for things to go into the tank also, I'd say that otto cats are good for the tanks, small killies, hatchetfish (silver or marble), and platys are all good. amazon swords, java ferns, java moss, driftwoods, small grasses are all fine.
I hope I've helped a little, and feel free to ask as there are plenty of others who could help you out far better than I can also. john.

Gingercat

5 Year Member
Oak or almond leaves help soften the water and lower the pH, and so will putting peat in the filter or adding water that peat has soaked in. To put peat in the filter, soak a handful and put it in a single or better double layer bag made from old pantyhose. That way, the water can flow through the bag but you won't get bits of peat all over the tank. The peat will turn the water quite yellow. Looks odd at first, but soon it starts to look like the right colour for aquarium water! There's lots of info about this on the net. Just google "aquarium peat", you'll find loads.

The apistos will appreciate a planted tank, but avoid putting an Amazon sword in a 20 gallon. They are much too big a plant, even for a 50 gallon tank, IMO. Unless you have high wattage lights and are prepared to rig up a DIY C02 system for the plants (which isn't difficult), stick to low-light plants like Java ferns and anubias. Some stem plants do ok in a low light tank too. Be prepared for algae! Amano shrimp and Nerite snails are not bad algae eaters.

Good luck.

L

Little G

Hey thanks for all the replies, I'm definitely feeling more prepared now when the time comes.
I can't wait until I can have my nice S.A. tank set up.
The advice and info was fantastic. I'm sure I"ll be asking more come september when its time to set up the tank.
Do I need to buy special peat or can I use the peat I put in my garden? Because if garden peat is useable that'd be pretty darn convenient.
I'm not too worried about it yellowing the water, my Mopani wood I had in my original planted 20G made the water yellowed and it suited the tank quite well.
the wood is now 2 years old and not leaching anymore unfortunately, because it does add to the "atmosphere" of the tank.

apistoireland

5 Year Member
just make sure it is moss peat and contains no fertilizer. Not a good idea in the fish tank. As you are just starting off I wouldn't go for the leaves as decoration. They will start to decompose and you will have to change them in regular intervals. If you don't keep an eye on it things can go horribly wrong. I am talking experience here.

cakey87

5 Year Member
You and I both!
I have just given all my Community Fish away to devote my 23 gallon to a pair of Apistos.
All I have to do is get my plants (I've ordered them, it's a hardy mix for tanks with low light and no fertilisation such as anubias, crypts etc) and driftwood and I am putting a layer of black/dark coloured gravel in as well to help bring out the colours of them.
And my water! I will be back here asking some questions once my test kits arrive- I already have a pH and ammonia kit but have ordered a GH & KH test, high range test kit, nitrite test and nitrate test. When I first set up my community tank, I was given these conditioning salts for my tropical fish. I haven't been able work out why my pH kept going VERY alkaline and today a lovely person on another cichlid forum has told me that they're the very reason why. She said that those salts mimic what's in a Rift Lake mix and I definitely DON'T need those! So when my plants arrive I am removing the water and adding fresh water and just treating it to remove the chlorine. I hope then, that I won't need to do much more to keep my apistos as our pH is generally good. However- I will be back here as I said to ask questions when I can give the exact water parameters.
I've been researching and I am actually going to keep a bristlenose pleco with my apistos and I am thinking of 4 lemon tetras, does anyone have any opinions on that?
I am not really fussy about what Apistos I put in there, I think they're all really beautiful fish!
Anyway, I just wanted to say I am in exactly the same boat as you and simply can't wait to get my tank all set up for my Apistos!:biggrin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….