• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How soon to feed blue ram fry

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
I notice that many of you have not noticed your fry till they are swimming around with Mom so they would be a few days free swimming by that point.

I pulled a spawn of rams as my pair eat their eggs and have done so for about 8 months :( and some are free swimmers now, others just about ready to swim.

My question is how soon do I feed them. There is a java fern and some java moss in the tank with them. I hope that will provide the early swimmers with some food. Some look like they have no egg sac left and I don't want them to starve, but if I add some microworms will it harm the ones not quite swimmers?

There is a cycled sponge filter going in the tank as well as the airstone I used to hatch them.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Microworms will not harm the fish, although the worms that are not eaten will eventually die and could foul the tank if you use too much.

Feed teh fry as soon as they are hopping off the bottom. I start with bbs.

mematrix

5 Year Member
re to post

I artifically hatch my Blue rams every time they will eat the eggs every time if I don't. It takes-48-72 hrs to hatch dep on temp another 48-72 to become freeswimming start feeding as soon as you see any become freeswimming Micro worms first only a small %age will be able to eat BBS as first food do this for a week then BBS and you will have a high % survival rate.

Sincerely Cutis

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
They were at 82 and took 48 hours give or take to wigglers then 5 1/2 to 6 days to free swimmers :) I did give them some microworms and will start the bbs today and add both with w/c to match feedings.

Thanks for the replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….