• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many Bita's?

kingborris

5 Year Member
Just set up a new tank, and I am contemplating adding some A. Bitaeniata's

60x24x30"H (180USG + large sump)
28-29C
KH = 4
GH = 4
TDS ~ 125ppm
pH 6.8 (with CO2 addition)
planted with sand substrate. lots of bogwood etc

other occupants are discus, tetras, corydoras and some loricarida

I was thinking of getting 2m and 4f, although reading in Romer's Atlas, he recommends large groups to encourage some of their group behaviour traits.

Any thoughts on my plans / numbers of bita's?

TIA

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi TIA, having 2m + 4f bita is all fine in your tank. My only suggestion is: Please keep the adult bita from Peru (NOT the ones from Brasil) because they are usually stronger and can adapt well in a tank together with big fish such as Discus. :)

kingborris

5 Year Member
blueblue said:
Hi TIA, having 2m + 4f bita is all fine in your tank. My only suggestion is: Please keep the adult bita from Peru (NOT the ones from Brasil) because they are usually stronger and can adapt well in a tank together with big fish such as Discus. :)

Cheers Blueblue. I will have to see what i can get hold of. Is there notable differences between the Peru bita and the Brazilian bita in terms of colouration etc?

by the way... TIA isnt my name. it means Thanks In Advance ;)

blueblue

5 Year Member
Dear KB :)

Bita from Brasil are usually slimmer, have yellow faces, and the caudal
fins have dotted patterns. Bita from Peru have a thick body, and the caudal fins have more horizontal patterns. The two horizontal black bands across the body also have differences... i remember Mike has a thread talking about it. Please search for it.

While for colour, both Peru's and Brasil's bita have blue, red, orange and green variates and it is hard to say which one is which. Moreover, there are exceptions: One may find a bita which looks like the Peru's bita from Brasil!! It is confusing, isn't it? The key is: the majority of bita in Brasil do have the characteristics i mentioned above, and the rules apply for most cases.

One more remark, the bita from brasil are usually more expensive;
in Hong Kong, a pair of wild caught bita from Rio Tefe (Brasil) is selling at a price of US$200 while a pair of wild caught "Peru Blue" bita is selling at a price of US$12-$20!! The difference can be huge.

kingborris said:
Cheers Blueblue. I will have to see what i can get hold of. Is there notable differences between the Peru bita and the Brazilian bita in terms of colouration etc?

by the way... TIA isnt my name. it means Thanks In Advance ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….