• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How can I positively I.D. a Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Lobe'?

Jason82

5 Year Member
In Australia it's relatively easy to source different Apistogrammas, but hard to get any Pelvicachromis other than Pulcher. I have managed to source 3 Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Lobe' today. It's on the other side of the country, so the fish will arrive by Monday after its cleared by government Quarantine.

My question is, how do I I.D. these fish to be Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Lobe'? I will hopefully post pics once they settle in to their new home. Also, what is the ideal home for me to provide for them? Would IAL and caves be ok?

Thanks

Joe Gatchell

You will probably have to wait until you get them and then maybe someone here can ID them for you. As far as caves they are pretty similar to pulchers in their preferences. I use the "burrito" cave from plecocaves.com for mine and they really seem to prefer them over the ones I made.

Jason82

5 Year Member
The wholesaler advised my Local Fish Shop today that all 3 fish on hold are Male. I'm now not ordering them, as I was hoping to breed them. This is a real shame, as I have wanted some type of taeniatus for about 3 years now. Looks like I will have to settle with some Apistogrammas.

Thanks for referring me to the plecocaves website. I made an enquiry about purchasing some caves from them, and Brantley said he will get back to me on the cost of shipping to Western Australia.

Joe Gatchell

The wholesaler advised my Local Fish Shop today that all 3 fish on hold are Male. I'm now not ordering them, as I was hoping to breed them. This is a real shame, as I have wanted some type of taeniatus for about 3 years now. Looks like I will have to settle with some Apistogrammas.

Thanks for referring me to the plecocaves website. I made an enquiry about purchasing some caves from them, and Brantley said he will get back to me on the cost of shipping to Western Australia.
They're real nice folks over there. I was very pleased with the caves I ordered.

Here's one of my pairs using their cave.

Jason82

5 Year Member
Hmmmm caves look the part. I will definitely have to order them once I get a price. I think I will hold off from purchasing some Apistogrammas then after looking at that video. I love west African cichlids. Thanks for sharing the video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….