• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi, need to know sex and id Please

killis75

Hi bought this fish as a Female and it should be a borellii opal!
Problem is that my old Female didnt look like this new one! So Heres some bad picks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422460802.470615.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422460815.656489.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422460832.336518.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, poor photos, but looks like A. borellii, Kind of small to sex, judging from the size of the male Guppy (I think that's what it is in the last photo). My guess right now is that it is a female. Opal females look like any other female morph, so it's hard to say if it's an Opal - if it is a female.

killis75

Thanks Mike! Thats right it is a guppy male. I will try to take some better pics! But its very hard and thats one thing that bothers me. He/she hides alot and stays in the back of the tank! Some other things that makes me a little unsure is that "she" is a little (very little) blue glimmering (dont know if thats the right Word for it) in her head, but yellow body! The old Female was just yellow!

ErtyJr

I have noticed in most fish when young they have tons of the glue glimmer in the face. Many as they get older lose it, or lose some. But I have noticed most of my fish have lots more of that blue when young, and it stands out more. Not always true, but more often than not has been for me, in males and females.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….