• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hemichromis fasciatus spawn issues

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
Ok so I managed a pair of the guys , I have them in a 40 breeder with drift wood and some floating plants , they managed to spawn twice but for some reason the fry never make it to fry swimming not sure what the cause of this is can anybody help me

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
What is the pH, hardness, and temperature of the tank water? Also, how big are the fish?

It's possibly that the fish aren't fully mature yet or that water chemistry is causing a low to no fertilization rate. I've also had some mid size cichlids that several people in my local club passed around and all of us could get them to spawn and tend to the eggs but NEVER got wigglers. It seems that the male was infertile. But that isn't overly common in my personal experience, especially with wild caught fish.

viejo

5 Year Member
Try pulling the eggs if possible & incubate artificially. It's best to use fresh water & on the softer side if possible for incubation. That way you will have a better idea as to the problem, ie, if you get fry, it's a environmental problem in the tank ( and no, the artificially raised fry are not likely to grow up being bad parents :rolleyes: .)

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the eggs made it to wigglers I wouldn't think the water was an issue either. More likely it's just a younger pair of fish getting the hang of things or one fish doesn't completely trust that the other is a good parent so the fry get eaten. If the adults spawn shortly after eating the wigglers then you just have an overly active pair and you'll have to follow Larry's advice and pull the eggs and raise them yourself.

cornbread_5

5 Year Member
this is there third spawn after the second one the male was upset and rough up the female a little bit nothing bad just a split fin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….