• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help with diagnose panduro sex?

zhihuai1982

I bought a pair of panduro form lfs。 now i am not very sure that they are a couple, and i also cannot distinguish panduro form nijsseni

fish 1 i think it's female panduro
IMG_1685.jpg

fish 2 i think it's male pander

IMG_1686.jpg

zhihuai1982

hi, mike

according to the picture below, i think the fish 1 is female nijsseni, and i am not sure that the fish 2 is nijsseni or panduro?

屏幕快照 2014-01-17 下午4.40.09.png
屏幕快照 2014-01-17 下午4.40.36.png

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
... i think the fish 1 is female nijsseni, and i am not sure that the fish 2 is nijsseni or panduro?

Yes, I think you're probably right. They look more like A. nijsseni or even A. sp. Oregon. To be honest I wasn't really trying to ID the species, just trying to sex them. They're still small, but seem to be showing sexual differences. Once the male gets to 2"/5cm the dorsal fin shape should be useful for species ID.

zhihuai1982

Yes, I think you're probably right. They look more like A. nijsseni or even A. sp. Oregon. To be honest I wasn't really trying to ID the species, just trying to sex them. They're still small, but seem to be showing sexual differences. Once the male gets to 2"/5cm the dorsal fin shape should be useful for species ID.
hi mike

i have updated photos of my fish, you can see their dorsal fin more clearly, so can you help me to diagnose if they are nijsseni or panduro?

IMG_1753.jpg
IMG_1757.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….