• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Me to ID please

tirtha1979

I am very new in Apistogramma keeping. Couple of months back I got a batch of 6 (2M and 4F) under the name of A. Agassizii "Double Red" and I have raised them. Recently they have started breeding. But after looking at the full grown fish, I am confused if they are Double Red or Tefe Red. Please help me to ID them correctly.

Male:

Apistos6_zpsfe3691f7.jpg

Apistos2_zpsd687cf3d.jpg

Female:

Apistos8_zps5ac939d8.jpg

Apistos3_zpse5fed640.jpg

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm not sure about the ID but I wanted to say those are some great shots you took. Those are some beautiful fish!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are a domestic red strain of A. agassizii. As such, the breeder/seller can use any descriptive name they want. The fish have red dorsal and caudal fins, so "Double Red" works well. But they also have red anal fins. A domestic strain of A. cacatuoides with red dorsal/caudal/anal fins is called 'Triple Red". Why aren't these aggies called 'Triple Reds", too??:) They definitely are not A. sp. Tefé

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

the Tefé Agassizii shows abdominal stipes, your fishes don't show these stripes.
Therefore the name as you bought them is correct.
It's a "double red" aquarium strain of A. agassizii.

regards,
Rolo

kaitlyn19

Yeah I would also say double red. One of your females looks exactly like my double red agassizi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….