• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help!!! ID wild Apistogramma!!!

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
I caught these a while back but couldnt get good pictures here are a few, hope they help.
I have never seen anything like them, they look like female gibbiceps but grow larger, have more spangling, more color on their fins and have a slightly differant body shape. they also remind me of female hippolytae but they arent.
I caught about twenty of these and they all looked identical, you would think if they are females i would catch males too.
Does anybody know what they could be?
CpiadeP3310340.jpg

CpiadeP4020354.jpg

CpiadeApistogrammasp.jpg

CpiadeP4020350.jpg

CpiadeP4020354-1.jpg

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Yes i have tried that but unfortunately there are "mirror hogs" that chase all the other fish away.
Also, some fish ignore the mirror, ussually it is only a few "alpha" fish that do it.
Hudson

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Can you tell me where these fish were collected? A. rupununi (which it probably is) is not known south of the mouth of the Rio Negro.

OOPS!:redface:
I meant to write "south of the mouth of the Rio Branco. Who knows, your fish might be escapees from specimens collected farther north. I've also seen reports of fish similar to A. rupunini being collected in the area between the lower Rio Negro and lower Rio Trombetas. Nothing seems impossible.

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Thanks i will do a search on rupununi, see what comes up.
Is there any reason (other then bad luck) why i didn't get a single male?
Like do they live in huge holes dug out of the bottom:biggrin:? any tips on how to get males if i go again?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You just had bad luck. Females will often stay close to their home base; males less so because their territory is larger. Start looking for fish with more strongly spotted tails and longer ventral fins. These should be males.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….