• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

tetras

5 Year Member
Hi everyone.
have just set up a 36x18x18 with a 10 gal sump today.
am using one 150 watt metal halide light and the tank will be heavily planted with a large driftwood branching structure.
will soon incorporate CO2 and am using Onyx sand and river sand as a substrate.
have already planted 2 bunches of glossostigma and have a nice anubias on driftwood and also 1 crypt.
tank will have alot of cover and was just wondering if it is possible to have two pairs of different varieties of apistos together, like say cacutoides and borelli???
thankyou all
tet

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I personally believe that combining A. cacatuoides (a harem spawner) with A. borellii (non-harem spawner) is not a good idea in a tank of your size. The harem spawner A. cacatuoides male, being a larger fish in this case, will take over the entire surface of your tank for his territory. I would suggest deciding which species you want most. If it is A. cacatuoides, then keep them in a harem. If it is A. borellii, then you could house them with another small non-harem species, or even a small open breeding species like Laetacara curviceps or Rams.

tetras

5 Year Member
cheers Mike,
was just using cacatuoides and borelli as an example but thanks for that as i didn't know the different breeding strategies of the two.
and yes i will more than likely go with one pair of apistos and one pair of rams or even one pair of dicrossus filamentosus, not sure yet.
does anyone know of any good biotope sites for apisto tanks?
thanks
adam:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….