• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from me!

D

Discusbabe

Hi everyone, I've just joined this forum and thought I would make a quick post to say hello and to introduce myself!

I live in the UK with my husband, 2 children, 4 cats, 1 hamster and currently 6 fish tanks. My display tank is home to my long time favourites discus mainly but the tanks upstairs are used for breeding and growing on various fish.

I have bred discus in the past but not been totally successful with them and then lost my female so I moved on to what I'd hoped would be easier breeders. To this end I started breeding some of the not so common livebearers and ancistrus of which I have a few species now but only the common browns breeding. From the ancistrus I grew a love for other plecs especially the more expensive and unusual varieties, basically anything that you don't see in your lfs!

I've often had dwarf cichlids and bred blue rams and kribensis in the past but not really done too much to do this so I've been looking for something a bit more unusual to try! I have tried keeping borellis, agassizi and caucatoudes <sp?> but never had any luck in keeping them which I put down to poor quality fish rather than something I've done wrong.

Well quite a few months ago now I literally bumped into the Nanochromis Transvestitus in a lfs! I'd seen about them in a UK magazine at the end of last year but didn't really think about them, plus they weren't particularly cheap either! Well the thing was they only had 2 females left and I felt a bit sorry for them so brought one home! They promised that they would get some more in for me and let me know when they arrived, low and behold 3 months later I managed to go back and get a male!

Well ok I've gone on loads now so guess I should cut to the point! I had planned on creating a better breeding tank for my pair until last night when they moved into the penthouse of the barnacle hotel and laid eggs! :eek: :eek: They're doing a fab job so far but not holding out much hope with it being their first spawn, I thought I'd better come and find a community which knew their stuff about dwarfs though and that's how I find myself here! :biggrin:

Randall

5 Year Member
Welcome

Welcome to the Forum, Discusbabe,

Congrats on your Nanochromis transvestitus! These are not the most easy fish to keep and breed. For any further discussion, please feel free to post in any of the forum topics.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

blueblue

5 Year Member
Welcome Discusbabe :)

Congratulations to the spawn of Nanochromis transvestitus!!
Looking forward to your updates :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….