• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from a new apistos keeper

Alex 1999

Hey guys! I am new to cichlids in general, and more specifically apistos, I currently have 2 apistos cockatoos, a pair I believe but now that I have looked around a bit I am paranoid that my female is really a male, but I'll address that in a later post. I have a 125 gallon tank that is my main tank, and then a 20 gallon that I keep around for qt, as well as a 15 gallon for the same purpose. My stock for the 125 is 6 angels, approx 15 guppies, about 30 corys, 10 kuhli loaches, 3 neon dwarf rainbows, I will be adding more, but the store only had 3, and lastly my pair of cockatoo apistos. So thats me and my fish!

Bart Hazes

Welcome Alex! Young female apistos that turn out to be males is a common issue. Either have a good long look at them in the store, including behaviour, before buying or get a group of fish and hopefully there will at least be a few of each sex (but I've had groups up to 8 that were all male or all female). Stick to obvious pairs if you can't deal with the uncertainty. In a tank that size you could also keep more than one pair, or a male with 2-3 females.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….