• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus

newworldan06

5 Year Member
Can anyone tell me any info about these guys I cant find any!! I got a 30 gallong planted tank with driftwood. Would they work in mine.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
There is a book about Eartheaters that is out with this species in it. All of the Gymnogeophagus species are found in areas further South in South America where most other cichlids do not exist (a few pikes, aequidens are still found down there as well). Therefore it is needed to let these guys go through a cool phase similar to the natives in North America (sunfish, bass, etc.). This is the only way to get these guys spawning and to prevent internal bacterial infections of them. A lot of people have kept them at higher temperatures and all have succumed to infection. They can take a higher temperature for short periods of time (upper 70's to low 80's, 3-4 months) but they like cooler temperatures down in 60's and can withstand temps in the 50's!
In the aquarium it is best to keep these group of fish at room temperature and only bumping up the temp. when you want to spawn them. It might even be worth while to throw them outside for a few months while the temperatures are a little lower to induce spawning. I have several friends that are just keeping them at room temperature and they seem fine. I would think a little more effort would be needed to spawn them however.
They are not picking about anything else except temperature. They take most foods and accept most water conditions. Regular water changes are great for these fish.
Jeff Rapps carries a lot of these fish. I think he has labiatus right now though. You can always send him an email and see if he can get them for you. Gymno's seem to be popping up everywhere right now. Lot's of collecting where they live. TFH has had several articles about these fish within the last year as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….