• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gymnogeophagus balzani information

Woody

5 Year Member
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Gymnogeophagus balzani that they would like to share.
A friend of mine was doing an order and I got him to get me 15 of these beautiful little species. I have never seen them in Canada, and the information on the web is sketchy if best.
I set up a 35 gallon, pH 6.8, 2 DH, 1 Kh temp 76 degrees fahrenheit.

Any experience of hints would be appreciated

Thanks

Woody

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
G. balzani is a nice fish. Like most of the Geophagus it is relatively peaceful. You have ordered a lot of them for the size tank you have. I would probably try to end up with a male and three or four females in your tank.

Woody

5 Year Member
Hi Ted

I know it seems a little crowded, but 15 is bag size. They are only listed at 4 to 5 cm. So I figured they do well until I get them settled in for in a months time I will have a few more 40 gallon breeders that I can divide them into.
Hopefully one male with 2 or 3 females.
Of course that is all based on wishful sex ratios being shipped. You never know you can end up with a bag of males, which would be my luck.

Thanks

Woody

aspen

5 Year Member
that is the way i like to buy fish btw. the more the better raising schooling cichlids generally, and you won't have any trouble getting rid of unwanted balzani i suspect.

rick

Woody

5 Year Member
So sad, maybe next time

Well I am sorry, but my fish never showed up, there was three bags missing from the order and they were all mine.
Guess I will try again next time, but on a good note I received some really nice Pelvicachromis Taeniatus Nigerina Red, a little small, but they'll grow up.
When I get the camera up and running, I'll take some photographs.

Woody

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Woody said:
Well I am sorry, but my fish never showed up, there was three bags missing from the order and they were all mine.
Guess I will try again next time, but on a good note I received some really nice Pelvicachromis Taeniatus Nigerina Red, a little small, but they'll grow up.
When I get the camera up and running, I'll take some photographs.

Woody

:) hehe nice

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….