• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good dithers?

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
I have a 20 gallon with 2 keyhole cichlids, a gold ram and a neo. brichardi. They are housed with 4 neons and 2 otto cats. The neons always seem sickly, they dont do well in my tank, thier colors dont show up well. I was wondering, is there a better small fish that will stay out of the way of my cichlids?or should i just leave them be and get a fancy pleco or something?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D A few people always laugh, but I use platies almost exclusively as dithers. They are tolerant of a wide range of water conditions, colorful, top-swimmers, peaceful and tough.

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
sounds good...i like those blue tuzedo platies. ooh, and i can use the fry as food, they breed often right?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
They do not produce enough fry to depend on as food, though when they do drop babies they will be a good treat for the cichlids.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
IME platies are not as prolific as guppies, but large platies will have a lot more babies than an average guppy will... just not as often.

crimsonrain

5 Year Member
the odd thing is i have guppy fry in my tank. they have neen in there since they were born. and my cichlids dont pay attention to them. there are no plants on the top either. do platy fry swim near the bottom or the top like guppies?

S

|squee|

Sorry, what are dithers? I'm a new guy here, and i must say this site is getting me more and more interested in apistos :D , but, what are dithers? tank mates?

Apistt_ed

some of the best dithers I have found to be were Beckfordii Pencil fish. they are pretty and do well in almost every water condition. other dithers I keep with my fish are:

Vietnamese white clouds (white variety and common clouds)
emerald dwarf Rasboras
green rasboras
an assortment of killies &
I have found that even female bettas are good dithers too!

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I agree! Beckfordi Pencilfish are excellent dithers. I use them in my spawning tanks as I've yet to see them give the fry any trouble. Matter of fact when the fry are fed, they gooble up the BBS right along side the parents & fry and I've never seen them eat any fry during the feeding frenzy.

I too have a hard time with Neon Tetras, but I don't usually have any problems with Cardinal Tetras. Cardinals are a little more colorful anyhow.

I also use Marbled Hatchetfish, Harlequin Rasboras, Glowlight Tetras and Cherry Barbs.

Michael

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
To start with this twenty is too crowded! There is no place in here to stay out of the way, Also the neons are probably scared to death!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….