• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Glancing and Pink Gills? Flukes? Ich?

BigDeady

Hello everybody,
Just got a pair of Apisto. Agassizii maybe 3 weeks ago. The pair have been exhibiting mating behavior and the female has been hiding away, under some leaves. At least she was hiding until today when I found her violently glancing against everything. Her gills are reddish pink and she been scratching at them very often. I'm thinking flukes or ich. No heater in the tank yet, but that'll change soon. I'm not sure how to treat for flukes. Thoughts?

Edit: They are the first and only fish in a 12 gallon long, with some amano shrimp.

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes I think gill flukes or ich are pretty good guesses based on the scratching/glancing behavior. I would use something containing either formalin + malachite green (such as Quick Cure) or metronidazole + praziquantel (API General Cure) if the problem doesn't resolve itself in a couple days. Get the shrimp out of course, before treating.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….