• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

German Blue ram tankmates?

interlude

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I am currently cycling my new 33g tank. I was wondering if I can house german blue rams and apistogrammas in the same tank?

Cathy G

5 Year Member
Actually I wouldn't recommend borelli and blue rams as the temperature requirements aren't the same. Blues really like 84-86, warm warm water. I'd be afraid the borelli would burn out fast at these temps. Borelli like a little cooler water.

Cathy

Sil

5 Year Member
Actually I wouldn't recommend borelli and blue rams as the temperature requirements aren't the same. Blues really like 84-86, warm warm water. I'd be afraid the borelli would burn out fast at these temps. Borelli like a little cooler water.
Cathy, I can agree that rams come from warmer waters (in nature), but I don't think that blue rams need to be kept in 86F (30C). Besides borelli can tolerate relatively wider range of the temperature then other apistogramma as they are widespread in South America... I think that 77-79F for both spacies will be suitable.

interlude

5 Year Member
Ok.. so I picked up 3 german blue rams from the LFS. Here is whats in the tank so far

5 black neon tetras
5 cardinal tetras
3 Corydoras sterbai
2 otos
3 german blue rams

2 of them paired up, the belly of the female is getting red, and the male is starting to show alot of colors. However, the other female might be a little younger and not showing much color. shes all alone and when she gets close to the pair, the male chases her off. Should I pick up 2 more females? That way the lone female doesnt get too stressed?

strider

5 Year Member
ram and apistogramma

Cathy
Cathy- what do you think about original question? Blue rams and apistogramma in same tank?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Off the top of my head I don't know of any Apistos that prefers warmer temperatures. That doesn't me they can't survive in warmer water but that they most likely won't thrive. Same goes for lower the temperature to make the Apistos happy...the rams will suffer. (Although I tend to keep rams closer to 80-82 myself) Also, temperature effects the outcome of the sex ratio in Apistos. Keeping the water on the low to mid 80's will give you a male heavy, and in most species, a male only batch of fry.

So the bottom line...if you want to attempt to keep both an Apisto. sp. and blue rams in the same tank aim for a temp of 80-82 degrees. There is the possiblity that this will cause a low grade stress which isn't good for either fish in the long run-in English-you will be shortening the life of both fish and increase their chances of getting sick.

Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….