• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Genetic Diversity?

Avid Outdoorsman

I have been keeping and breeding fish for around 25 years now. I am however fairly new to keeping and breeding apistos. I have always tried to buy wild caught fish if possible. If not I would make sure that I bought the males and females from different sources to maintain genetic diversity. I am seeing more and more people breeding siblings and other such practices. Am I taking this too far? I always felt I was doing the responsible thing, but I have been told on several occasions lately that it doesn't matter. That it takes many generations of inbreeding before any problems occur. I am just wondering on what every ones take on the subject is.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is best to avoid breeding siblings from the start, if the goal is to prevent genetic erosion. It is a real problem with dwarf cichlids, and deformities often show up after only a few generations if inbreeding. Another problem is that outcrossing a highly inbred line may not solve the problem. Once the genetic diversity is lost, it cannot be 100% regained.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qverbeeck

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….