1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBR Sexing

Discussion in 'Other South American Dwarf Cichlids' started by Bercey, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Bercey

Bercey New Member

Hey guys, I've been thrown for a loop on these rams I got recently. Not too sure if I've got a male and a female or two females. Any help is appreciated!

GBR 1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GBR 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And together:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They've also been doing the lip locking thing. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
  2. Bart Hazes

Bart Hazes Member

Two females I'm afraid.
  3. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    I think we've been down this <"particular avenue before">, in 2014? Did you ever find the sex of those two?

With the usual disclaimer that I'm pretty poor at ID and sexing, I'm sure the second fish is a female, because she has prominent blue spangles in the black humeral spot.

I'm leaning towards male for the first fish (no blue spangles), but it isn't a very strong lean.

cheers Darrel
  4. Bart Hazes

Bart Hazes Member

My response was based on purple belly below the black flank spot, instead of yellow, and plumper shape than typical males. For apistos I've only seen lip-locking between males or between females but not so far between a male and female. If that is always the case and also applies to rams than that would be another indication that these are two females. The good part is that it is normally not too hard to find GBR in stores.
  5. Shane Puthuparambil

Shane Puthuparambil Member

Male: IMG_2565.JPG
    Fem:
    IMG_2563.JPG
    Mbkemp likes this.
  6. Drayden Farci

Drayden Farci New Member

Looks like two females. Males aren't that "plump", and neither has a very defined/extended dorsal tip.