• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry from my Pelvicachromis taeniatus (Bipindi)

ste12000

5 Year Member
Well after waiting for what seems like a lifetime i now have fry, The pair have been together in their own tank for about two months and they just did not seem to want to breed!! They had claimed a coconut shell cave and moved all the gravel/sand out into nice neat piles, then things stayed like this for two weeks without any action.
It took a 50% water change that dropped the temp by 5f and the good old trick of using a mirror. As soon as the mirror was placed next to the tank the pair went crazy, my female was the more beligerant of the two and really displayed her best colours to her rival (reflection),i missed the actual spawning but next day the female was inside her cave and the male waiting patiently on guard outside the entrance 13/08/07. The fry were out of the coconut cave two days ago 20/08/07, the parents kept them out of sight under a piece of wood until today 22/08/07 when i was rewarded for my patience with the sight of 20-25 Taeniatus fry. They have fed tonight on microworm and Baby brine shrimp and have settled for the night with bright orange stomach's.:) I have taken plenty of photos and videos, i have included a pic and will place a youtube link as soon as i have uploaded my video.
pelvicachromistaeniatus.Excellen-3.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Two months! Lucky you. I have a pair that I have been pampering for over a year and still no fry.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Been there, done that. THey have also had the opportunity to beat up several live femael kribs. They have spawned at least five times that I know of, but have not produced fry. I have seen wiglers though, so I know they are both fertile.

ste12000

5 Year Member
They are proving to be superb parents, they have been out of the cave for three days now and i dont think iv lost any fry, there around 25 babies. The female tolerates the male well and even lets him help with the fry. I have only bred Pulcher (krib) from the pelvicachromis family before these and the Taeniatus are proving to be a lot calmer than the Kribs.
I am enjoying these fish and am struggling to get any work done in the fishroom since the babies appeared.:)

ste12000

5 Year Member
Just a quick update... It is now the 18th sept and the fry are 5 weeks old. They are growing rapidly and are extreamly hardy, i still have the 25 that appeared out of the cave and they are still with both parents in the same tank. It is getting a bit crowded though so they will be moved into a growout tank soon. They feed on ZM fry high protein (60%) pellets, bloodworm and the occasional treat of Baby brine shrimp(I stopped regular feeding with BBs after the 4th week as it was costing me a fortune, no loss of growth has been noticed). Hopefully in another month or so i will have a new batch and these ones can go up for sale and clear some tankspace...

3 weeks old
withfryKrib.jpg

5 weeks old
Fry5weeksold.jpg

Male
Male.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….