• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First spawning......

smileandnod

5 Year Member
Hi all.

After much confusion about my second Cacatuoides sex, (female or juvenile male) she turned bright yellow, and yesterday I noticed a huge number of 'things' in my tank.

The things turned out to be free swimming fry 8O I didn't even know they had any eggs! One short panic later, I had some fine flake food, and a brine shrimp hatchery in operation.

It was fascinating to watch the mother collecting fry into her mouth and spitting them out where she wanted, and when I fed the flake, she herded them into the path of the falling flakes.

That's it. I am now completely hooked, and can't wait till my Inca do it as well.

Just thought I'd tell someone :lol:

Ian.

Neil

Congratulations, Ian.
First spawns are big deals and it is just great to not only have the satisfaction of breeding these animals, but also getting all the interesting behaviors of the fish family to boot! Good luck with them. You probably are officially hooked! If not, you will be after your inca spawn! :D

Neil

Apistt_ed

congrats Ian... this is why we love these fish in the first place... once you're hooked, you're really really hooked.. didn't take long to start collecting tanks... i have 23 just for dwarfs! welcome and keep us posted on your progress!

Dan724

5 Year Member
I had my first spawn of kribs,, I'm still amazed at parental care. Congrats, I know how you feel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….