• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Apistogramma Trifasciata

sswm

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

I bought this pair as apistogramma trifasciata, just wanting to make sure that the female is indeed one

Here she is
DSC04040.jpg

sswm

5 Year Member
just contacted the store bought from and here is the full name...Apistogramma trifasciata Maciliensis

does that make any difference in the female id?

gerald

5 Year Member
Looks more like a species from the eunotus or macmasteri groups, definitely not a trifasciata type.

I like your dark gray sand. Is it cat litter, or if not then where did you get it?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree: a macmasteri-group species (probably A. macmasteri) female. All A. trifasciata will show a diagonal stripe running from the pectoral fin to the anus.

BTW 'A. trifasciatum maciliense' is not recognized as a subspecies anymore. It's only a population (if that). Fish like the original specimens of this form have never been commercially imported. The closest to it, of which I've seen photos, were some collected from a lake in Bolivia by Jeff Cardwell about 8 years ago. Two fish are sold commercially as "A. t. maciliensis": A. erythrura and A. cf. trifasciata (Guaporé).

sswm

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies everyone, have been a big help

Gerald - I'm using Seachem Flourite Black Sand as the substrate

sswm

5 Year Member
Good News

Went back to the store and got the female replaced with this one!

DSC04054.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Can you get more females? I ask because the fish in the photo has rather long ventral fins for a female - and the dorsal isn't exactly what I'd expect, either. Besides, A. trifasciata is a species that is best kept as a harem.

sswm

5 Year Member
Unfortunatley this was the last female they had...the owner said they do get them in whenever they make orders, so I will keep my eye out for the next order and try and add another female

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….