• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Ap. sp. Nanay

loirUh

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

Got fry from my Sp. Nanay pair, 2 weeks old now. I've been feeding the with BBS, microworms, and JBL nobilfluid for vitaminic supplement.

I'm wondering how and when should i be start providing larger foods, and granulates? Is there any 'food plan' for our fry?

Any other foods that i should be giving them?

Thanks!

gerald

5 Year Member
Continue feeding fresh-hatched BBS even after they are eating other foods. Live BBS and mosquito larvae are two of the all-around best Apisto foods.

ErtyJr

Continue feeding fresh-hatched BBS even after they are eating other foods. Live BBS and mosquito larvae are two of the all-around best Apisto foods.

Gerald is right. You should continue feeding bbs as well but as soon as they will accept granules you should try to teach them to eat it. I grind my pellets into a powder with a mortar and pestle and feed it to them. It isn't an easy process they won't take it immediately, you will need to add it in with the newly hatched bbs and they will slowly accept it. I also like to feed my fry chopped up blackworms as soon as they are big enough. I cut them into small pieces with scissors.

Every time I switch them to blackworms they triple in size in weeks!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Soon as the fry are a bigger I feed Grindal worms along with the micro-worms and powered dry food. The wriggle factor makes them more likely to take the dry food.

Because I don't have many fish at the moment I'm not hatching brine shrimps, but I use de-capsulated BBS, freeze-dried Arctic Copepods and Astax Red crumb as my dried foods, and this seems to work pretty well.

If any-one in the UK wants any Black-worms (Lumbriculus) for a starter culture, I have plenty spare, I'll donate them (for a donation to the forum).

cheers Darrel

loirUh

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

This batch is now 3 weeks old... they are about 0,5 to 1cm... i guess i'll start giving them some granulate (grinded to powder) mixed with the BBS... Next week i'll take the female out of the tank.

Recently i've also started a Dalphnia culture so i can provide another food source.

ErtyJr

Hi guys,

This batch is now 3 weeks old... they are about 0,5 to 1cm... i guess i'll start giving them some granulate (grinded to powder) mixed with the BBS... Next week i'll take the female out of the tank.

Recently i've also started a Dalphnia culture so i can provide another food source.

All good ideas.

loirUh

5 Year Member
I really hope for the best for this batch! It's my first one since I have set-up my fishroom! :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….