• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enhanced forms of cacatuoides

DaRe

5 Year Member
I'm trying to figure out what the differencies between the most common bred variants of cacatuoides are and how they have been created. Also if there are some specific sensitivies within the forms.
I'm thinking of
red
red fins with some black markings?
One fin or pair of fin red. Dorsal or caudal?

orange
red fins with no black markings?
One fin or pair of fin red. Dorsal or caudal?

double red
two fins pair of fins red?
Two fins or pair of fins red. Dorsal, caudal?

tripple red
Three fins or pair of fins red. Dorsal, caudal, pectoralis?

gold
Albino genes part of breeding?
Usually red fins?

Totally wrong, correct. What more is there to know about these forms?

Cooder

What is to know about them? Steer clear of them...

(just my opinion but im no fan of commercial line bred cacs and aggies... get wild or f1 specimens, and enjoy the natural beauty!)

DaRe

5 Year Member
What is to know about them? Steer clear of them...

(just my opinion but im no fan of commercial line bred cacs and aggies... get wild or f1 specimens, and enjoy the natural beauty!)
Hehe. I'm part of running the Nordic Cichlid Association website and I want to give proper info to our members in our species register. I personally love wild strains but the bred ones are popular and good info can't hurt.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Orange: at least all unpaired fins (dorsal, caudal, anal) should be orange to red with no black markings.
Double: caudal and dorsal show red/black markings
Triple: all unpaired fins show red/black markings
SuperRed: all unpaired fins plus pelvic fins show markings
Yellow/Gold: xanthic form. Weak gene so it gets cross with Orange and Triple, which product Xanthic Orange Flash and Xanthic Triple Red and turns into a mix of everything.

DaRe

5 Year Member
Great! Thanks. How are these forms bred? Just crossing same kind or do you need to mix genes? Who was first creating them? Were where they first created? I'm guessing that they are not existing in nature, correct?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No one really knows exactly who, when or how these strains were originally produced, other than that it was a deliberate effort to increase colors in the fins. It probably was many hobbyist and commercial breeders working on it at the same time.

DaRe

5 Year Member
Still, that is also valuable info. I'll add that as well. Thanks.

This breeding is more or less industrial at this point I guess and I wonder how many fry that gets thrown away because they aren't colorful enough to sell? Maybe nothing or maybe lots? Not sure how stable the offsprings are from these?

Cooder

Im no expert but i would wager they are a weaker fish than there wild counterparts. Probably get skewed ratios aswell. I dont know the conditions these commercial strains are produced in, but, again, id wager its less than satisfactory.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….