• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dither fish

ScottandFish

Hello All,

I have a 20 gallon long that I'm planning on putting a trio of Apisto agassizii in.

I'm looking for tips from people on dither fish.

I was thinking of either stocking 5 lemon tetra or some guppies as dither fish. Thoughts?

MickeM

5 Year Member
If you start up with "small"/young Apisto-specimen (2-3cm) and add the Apistos in as the the last species... Boraras birgittae, Pseudoepiplatys anullatus, Sundadanio axelrodi or Pseudomugil luminatus might work.. (But then I would avoid to buy the lemon tetras!!!, ..the lemon tetras will probably chase,bite and in the end eat these small ditherfishes!?)
I have not tried these dithers with guppies... and if you are about to try it, I would suggest the small endler/wingei-guppies.. not larger ones/types!!

I always add the smallest + most "delicate" fish into the tank at first.. so they will get some time to adapt before "stronger"/more aggressive fishes are put in..!
Large /adult Apistos may get annoyed and chase small fishes to death if they are put into "their" (already established+controlled) territory !
The Pseudoepiplatys are more likely to stay at the surface of these alternatives, so you may prefer them before the others if you are going to breed the Apistos!! (And they also have got their mouth turned up, since they are prefer insects as food, so they may have more problems to chase/eat any fry!!;).. Although almost all fish tend to eat smaller fishes if given the oppurtunity!!)

Attachments

• 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    490.3 KB · Views: 394
  • 302.JPG
    302.JPG
    600.4 KB · Views: 363
  • 089.JPG
    089.JPG
    694 KB · Views: 339
  • 1074.JPG
    1074.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenAmon

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….