• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Delurking and new to Apistos

irishspy

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker here finally revealing myself because I'm about to set up a new tank. I've been out of the hobby for many years, but I can't resist its siren call anymore. I'm fascinated by dwarf cichlids and would love to include a pair/trio in my forthcoming South American community tank. This is a rough sketch of what I have in mind:

40g acrylic rectangular (36" x 15" x 16"), Filstar XP 2 and Aquaclear 50 filters, 1 x 96w light (2.4w per gallon) on legs above the tank. Mopani wood, low-Medium light plants, no CO2. Fine gravel with a laterite layer. Fairly heavily planted. Given all that, what do you think of:

(Where "/" equals "or")

2-3 Apistogramma cacatuoides/borelli/nijsenni/GBR/Bolivian Rams -- 1 male 2 female
6-8 Corys
8-10 Glowlight/Lemon/Serpae/Bleeding Heart/Rummy nose/Rosy Tetras
8 Silver or Marble hatchets
Otocinclus as needed (5-6?)

Focusing on dwarf cichlids, is this a good (i.e., relatively peaceful) community mix? Are there any problems I should look out for?

Also, Los Angeles' water has been charitably described as "liquid rock." Is it too hard to keep apistos happy?

Thanks much for any advice, and I look forward to learning a lot here.

--Anthony

DH247

5 Year Member
Just know, that if you want to breed the dwarfs at all or if they do spawn the tetras will decimate what fry you will have. I would recommend white cloud minnows or microrasboras.

Otherwise... welcome back to the hobby!!! Best of luck to you!

irishspy

5 Year Member
Hi, DH247, and thanks for the advice. Yeah, I figured the tetras would think it's snack-time if the dwarfs were to breed. I'll live with that risk for now, though I'm considering a fry-raising tank, too.

(One aquarium leads to another, which leads to another, which... :eek: :biggrin: )

--Anthony

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….