• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Damaged jaw

Gingercat

5 Year Member
While netting an apisto (triple red) into the hospital tank to treat for columnaris, his lower jaw ripped on one side. Poor fish went quite white (apart from the fins). I think the columnaris on his jaw got snagged in the netting somehow. It's been three or four weeks now that he's not been able to close his mouth -- it's quite wide open -- but he is still able to eat food out of the water column somehow. The columnaris has cleared up and it took him a couple of weeks to bounce back from the meds, but behaviour-wise he's been his old self for the past couple of days. I know damaged fins can grow back but do injuries like this ever completely heal?

aspen

5 Year Member
i have seen fish heal pretty well, other times you see a fish with a seemingly minor injury not heal. only time will tell.

rick

fishgeek

depends on the depth of the injury, if it is just scale deep, then will be no problem
if the jaw is actually malaligned and/or fractured then may never close

lots of good water will aid healing

Gingercat

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies. I suspect he's too badly damaged to fully heal, but I'll keep up with the water changes and continue to hope for improvement.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….