• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crazy female Norberti

alpha

Hi,
I have a pair of Norberti who spawn at the beginning of the month.Everything was fine until few days ago when suddenly the male begin to chase the female away and take care of the fry.Today the female return(after some fight with the male) to the fry,but here is the strange part:she keep some fry with her and chase away the rest.Do you have any explication for this kind of behavior?
Thank you.

alpha

Yes,but I don't understand why,from 20+ fry,she only keep 5 or 6 and chase(more like a hunt) the rest.The other inhabitants from the tank didn't succeed what she done in one day.Maybe somebody could help me understand what generated this kind of behavior.
Thank you.

loirUh

5 Year Member
i dont know the reason why she does it. anyway it can be stressed and disturbed by the male after he chased her like crazy. next time try to isolate the male from her so she can take care of the fry in peace.

alpha

Thank you for your answer.For me was strange to see an Apistogramma female,who is know to be a very protective mother,chasing her own fry.And only some of them.Btw,is still happening.And I observe that every time she chase one of the unwanted fry,the male comes between the fry and the female.
The tank is almost 80 liters and the other inhabitants are 6 Synodontis nigriventris and 2 Pterobunocephalus dolichurus,I never intended to breed large group of fry.I always say,if survive,will survive only the strongest.I will wait and hope to raise the left ones to see if I find any more details,like if she keep only females or males.
Thank you once again for your help.

alpha

She chase away all the fry.I don't know if there are any survivors.
The pair have no intention of spawning either,so,her behavior is still a mystery.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….