• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Could this be P. sacrimontis?

sjonnie

Hello there,

Yesterday I ordered 6 Pelvicachromis taeniatus (3 males and 3 females) and this is what I got. Definetly not taeniatus. But what is it??? I think they look like Pelvicachromis sacrimontis, don't you? They are 5 males and 1 female. The males are between 7 and 9 cm and the female is 6 cm. I took some pictures from them. Your opinion would be verry much apriceated.

Thanks,

John
pelvicachromis (1).jpg
pelvicachromis (2).jpg
pelvicachromis (3).jpg
pelvicachromis (4).jpg
pelvicachromis (5).jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hate to say it but they look like young P. pulcher. The face is a little more pointed then sacrimontis and it looks like the male in the first picture is starting to get a pointed tail (something sacrimontis doesn't really get). The blue hue also points to pulcher and not sacrimontis.

But keep an eye on them as they grow a little as I've had pulcher and sacrimontis come mixed in together on more then one import!

sjonnie

They sold them as wild kribensis/taeniatus Nigeria. But I ordered taeniatus nigeria red... which were also in stock. Its a pitty I could not see the fish over there. They can only be send to my LFS. Luckely I can give them back but before I do so I would like to now your opinians. I thougt the pattern in the tail look like sacrimotis but I am certently no expert!

Rod

5 Year Member
Happy to provide an opinion

Not taeniatus
Not sacrimontis

Normal kribensis (pulcher)....and not great examples in my opinion(but I like males to have spots in tail)

Sacrimontis have yellow green fins...very dark stripes....

Jason82

5 Year Member
i agree they look like pulcher to me
i have a similar problem where i live. taeniatus sold as subocellatus and pulcher sold as taeniatus
also, some of my local fish stores just use the name kribensis or striped kribensis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….