• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

collage student

P

pilgrim

I'm going to start a 20 gallen tank next summester, and was considering dwarf cichlids. I will be moving the tank short didstances about 4 times a year due to dorm changes. Is this ok for the little guys, or should I stick to hardier fish.

I also hear pencil fish dont eat fry? what about otos or other algee eaters?

P

pilgrim

I have considering some cacatuoides but do they get big? This site says they can reach 10 centimeters, thats huge.

Also, I was thinking, If I have 4 otos swimming around the bottom cleaning, would the dwarfs feel like their space is invaded? Especially if the dwarves happen to have fry oneday, would they hurt the otos?

Apistt_ed

Cacatuoides size, by way of comparison to the whole apistogramma genus, is a bulky fish but not huge by any means in my opinion. 10 centimeters isn't big at all. Maybe confusions with inches? The largest would be very old males that are kept in large aquariums. I personally have had cacatuoides that have grown close to 3 1/2 - 4 inches (head to extensions of the caudal tail) but that was in a 120 gallon tank and a very mature old fish (about 2 1/2 years old). Even so, I've had cacatuoides do fine as a pair in a 20gallon without problems.

Otos shouldn't bother your fish or fry as much and I'm sure that the female cacatuoide would do some damage on them if they hang around the fry. but in my own tanks, that's not the case as the otos seem to stick to the glass and plants far far away from the female with fry. One or two quick charges are enough to keep them at a safe distance (safe for the otos!). Best of luck . john

P

pilgrim

Alright, thanks for your help. Sounds like I know the fish for me then. Now I just have to wait 4 months to start the tank :( Oh well, plenty of time for research and questions. talk to ya later

Derek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….