• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

caring for true viejita (wild)

skoram

An opportunity arose recently to purchase a pair of wild Apistogramma viejita (Río Guarrojo) for a reasonable price here in Korea and I am considering them for a 50 gallon riparium that I set up a few weeks ago. Aside from plants, the tank is currently empty as I have been contemplating how to stock it.

There is a lot of information on this site and throughout the internet about caring for viejita, but I assume that it mostly pertains to the domestic strain of macmasteri mislabeled as viejita. Can someone clarify - do the same general care instructions, water parameters, etc. apply to the true viejita or are there other parameters I should be aware of?

Thank you for your help.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They should be good with the same conditions as wild A. macmasteri. They require excellent quality water that is moderately acidic (~pH 6) and moderately soft. Like wild macs, if the water quality becomes poor, they are susceptible to external bacterial infections. Like most wild apistos, they are a bit sensitive to medications, too.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….